Burner help for keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen people have good luck with both options above. I personally have (3) 20 tip burners under my keggles - though NG. It was overkill. I had to plug all but 8 jets on each, but now they work fine. That 10 jet unit will be plenty of power, but the other option may give you a bit more flame control on the low end if that's what you're after.

I'm looking for something kinda in the middle, but I don't want to wait forever for my boils. I also am going to be doing direct fire mashing so I need something that I can control pretty well. Is the banjo burner something which I can control pretty well? and would it be good for direct fire mashing?

I'm looking for something kinda in the middle, but I don't want to wait forever for my boils. I also am going to be doing direct fire mashing so I need something that I can control pretty well. Is the banjo burner something which I can control pretty well? and would it be good for direct fire mashing?

I use the jet type burner for direct fire mashing, though you will have to play with your setup a bit to mount the burners at the correct height. The banjo type will be a bit better at lower levels, but both will work fine. Many people have nothing but bad things to say about the jet burners, but I like them once I removed some jets and played with them a bit. The 10 jet unit should be a good option, shouldn't have to modify it, and believe me - it's plenty of power.

The thing to realize is that probably 99% of the people using the Hurricane style burners, both on nat gas and propane are happy with them. There are a lot of folks with the jet burners that don't think very highly of them. I'm one of them. I get by with them but I do curse them once or twice every brew day. They are more predictable on propane than nat gas. They don't adjust very well for low flame. I think 10 jets is still too hot for a direct fire mash.

Great info! I almost went with the jet burners, but I think I may just stay away from them and give the hurricane burners a shot.

The thing to realize is that probably 99% of the people using the Hurricane style burners, both on nat gas and propane are happy with them. There are a lot of folks with the jet burners that don't think very highly of them. I'm one of them. I get by with them but I do curse them once or twice every brew day. They are more predictable on propane than nat gas. They don't adjust very well for low flame. I think 10 jets is still too hot for a direct fire mash.

Good info here. I have mine knocked down to 8 jets (NG) and direct fire with no problems, I can't imagine 10 would be any different. If you are having problems, just up your pump flow a bit. That, or you don't have enough space between your false bottom & the bottom of your tun. It's true, you can't run these burners too low or you get yellow flames, but I'm happy. I do agree with the above however.

Good luck.

Actually I do have it dialed in running 6 tips. You don't want to run the recirculation too fast or you compact your grainbed and then the pump prime is shot and you scorch. Of course, you can grind coarser and dump rice hulls in to combat it. I'd rather suggest a more versatile burner.

I ordered two hurricane burners from brewmasters warehouse. They are slightly more then the banjo burners from cookware, but since I had to order some other things it made sense. Haven't used them yet but everyone here who uses them seems happy.

Back