Burner efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
I'm nearing the final stages of my stand. I wanted to test my burner-to-pot distance in terms of burner efficiency. I was able to take water up 42 degrees in about 13 minutes. This was from about 80 to about 122.

What I'm wondering is if the ~ 3 degrees/minute should be expected over the course of bringing water to boil, or does it take longer (or shorter) the hotter the water gets?

Thanks!

Todd

I'm nearing the final stages of my stand. I wanted to test my burner-to-pot distance in terms of burner efficiency. I was able to take water up 42 degrees in about 13 minutes. This was from about 80 to about 122.

What I'm wondering is if the ~ 3 degrees/minute should be expected over the course of bringing water to boil, or does it take longer (or shorter) the hotter the water gets?

Thanks!

Todd
It takes longer as it gets hotter, as the heat losses to the environment get larger (more heat to the environment = less heat to the water.) Heat loss to the environment is roughly proportional to the temperature difference between the pot/water and the environment. Increased air velocity (wind) will also increase the losses to the environment and slow down heating.

Brew on :mug:

Back