Burner carbon monoxide safety question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing with a single burner but now I just upgraded to a brew stand with two banjo burners. I use natural gas, not propane. Never really worried about carbon monoxide, but been doing some reading about it and now with the additional burner, just wondering if it would be a problem. I brew in my garage which is a large three car garage with high ceilings. I usually have all three doors halfway open when I brew. ( but close them after flame out so as to reduce contamination. )
Do I have any reason to worry?

You have reason to be cautious - and informed.
Get yourself a CO detector and place it in your vicinity on brew days.
That's what I do...

Cheers!

^ what he said. You could also set up a fan at one of your garage doors blowing toward the outside to help draw some of that air out. I suspect you would be ok without this, but you should be cautious.

I think improved ventilation addresses the root cause, but it’s never a bad idea to also install a sensor.

I think improved ventilation addresses the root cause, but it’s never a bad idea to also install a sensor.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I had an HVAC guy take a look at my connections, check out my set up, and do a bubble test. He helped me out with my flame height/color/output as well. ( he was over working on my air-conditioning anyway. ). I bought a cover monoxide monitor as well. Weird— I’ve been brewing for about 10 years and hadn’t really realized the nuances in managing your flame for efficiency and heat, or the whole carbon monoxide problem. So I think it is a worthwhile topic. Thanks all.

Back