Burned Bag BIAB Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
So,

I was making a Flanders Red on what was starting as a good brew day when after the 90 min mash i go to remove my bag and it has melted in 2 spots. Grain falls into the beer(not much but still more then i would like) and now i know the whole batch is most likely ruined.

Flame out i throw in some Corn Sugar to help with a gravity bump i know ill need. I also add 5 Lbs of Frozen fruit since the way i look at it, this is either going to be my luckiest mistake or be dumped anyways, might as well try to see if i can screw around with flavors and produce a somewhat drinkable beer.

Then after i transfer to the primary and add the roeselare yeast i see that my brew kettle has a chunk of melted bag on it. I'm not sure if it's drinkable, i might give it a month and try tasting the wort and see if it doesnt taste like melted plastic bag.

Pour one out for a bad brew day :(

Sorry but your beer is toast. Go ahead and bottle it and send it my way, I'll dispose of it through the proper channels.

Seriously though, what kinda bag did you use? Can you post a pic/link?

Haha i figured that was the response i'd probably get. It was just a nylon(maybe?) bag for BIAB. I already threw the bag away, i can post a picture tomorrow of the brew kettle though because the burned bottom is still on there.

Yes,

But i set it very low. I think the problem was adding the bag to quickly when the burner was still very hot. i almost think it'd be better to turn it completely off or switch to a different over top. My fear is the temp dropping too low for a 90 min Mash, but if i add the grains in at say 160, that ideally should hold in the 150's the whole mash.

I'd suggest only doughing in when the flame is out. Not sure how others do it, but I really only have to heat up my mash 1-2 times during a 60 min mash. The most important thing I have noticed is to always be stirring when heat is on. And if temps seem to be off or it's been about 15 minutes, give it a good vigorous stir to make sure you are getting good temp readings and dispersing the heat evenly.

do you have your burner on during the mash?

Yes,

But i set it very low. I think the problem was adding the bag to quickly when the burner was still very hot. i almost think it'd be better to turn it completely off or switch to a different over top. My fear is the temp dropping too low for a 90 min Mash, but if i add the grains in at say 160, that ideally should hold in the 150's the whole mash.

Not to just plug my company and all the great products we build, but have you thought of a false bottom in there to keep the nylon bag off the bottom while you have the flame on and a nylon bag in there?
I dont know what kettle you have but this is an example of a system for a little B3 kettle

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottom_MoreBeer_BE303_Kettle.html

I know a bunch of BIAB brewers locally use them in their kettles for this reason.

Cheers
Jay

I'd suggest only doughing in when the flame is out. Not sure how others do it, but I really only have to heat up my mash 1-2 times during a 60 min mash. The most important thing I have noticed is to always be stirring when heat is on. And if temps seem to be off or it's been about 15 minutes, give it a good vigorous stir to make sure you are getting good temp readings and dispersing the heat evenly.

this is the problem, it's on a oven top. Once i get a house i will change to propane which i bet will help a lot with temp control

Jaybird

I'll look into it. I'm worried my brew kettle is now ruined too, but that's part of the reason i cam on here was to find solutions to what i could do to prevent it from happening again.

You can put anything stainless steel in the bottom to prevent the bag from burning. You don't need a false bottom made of micron that costs a bunch of money.

Anything that can stand up to heat and provide good spacing between the bag and the bottom will work. I've seen people use circle BBQ grates or circular cooling racks inside their kettle.

Back