Burlington and Stowe VT brewery recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading to both Burlington and Stowe VT and I'm looking for brewery recommendations.

Thanks!

Prepare to be overwhelmed. Vermont has more breweries per capita than any state. You have your heavy hitters: The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Foam Brewers, Switchback, those are just I few I have been to and enjoyed the beer/atmosphere etc. But there are plenty and I'm sure you will get a myriad of recommendations. Enjoy the finest beer state in the nation.

My only avoid is Magic Hat, but to be fair I went awhile ago and I think they updated their brewery. I just don't like a lot of stuff they put out and the "Brewery" consisted of getting small samplers in a gift shop.

Idletyme's Helles Brook Lager is one of the few beers where I remember that specific beer, captured in my memory as sublime. Also the fish and chips was really good. I was at Idletyme after I was at Alchemist, so there's some perspective.

Yeah IMO the Alchemist is over-rated, but I figure for someone from out of town most people would put that on their list if they haven't been. Once you are spoiled and can get Focal Banger/Heady T's pretty regularly it loses some of that magic, or when you are comfortable in the area and know you can wander around and find tiny breweries that often have great beer.

Frost Beer Works in Hinesburg, VT. Haven't been there but their beer is very good.

Hill Farmstead really isn't that close. It's literally in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road.

I've had Heady Topper in cans and thought it was very good (not great), but I'll have to try it on draft and see if it's even better. It gets a lot of hype and praise. Not sure if its justified in my mind.

Magic Hat is at the bottom of the list. Not very good in my opinion.

I'll have to track down Idletyme's Helles Brook Lager.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I thought the Alchemist was a great place to visit. I got to meet and talk to John for a few minutes, really great. Hill Farmstead is a fantastic place to visit, I would say must see. We didn't make it to Burlington. Idletyme was nice, good food and great beer, I liked their Vanilla Porter, brought home a couple bottles. Von Trapp also has a very nice taproom, very big and new, like a mountain hunting or ski lodge, solid beers, too.

I'll definitely checkout Alchemist Brewery since they are in Stowe. Do they sell cans there?

The new Alchemist brewery is awesome. Definitely a must stop. They sell cans all day and the website is updated every day. If you’re lucky you might get a Skadoosh while you’re there. Their beers are awesome, not the juice bombs everyone is into but great beer with crazy defined Hop character.

Von Trapp in Stowe is an awesome stop if you’re into German beers. Really well executed and the Bier Hall is a great spot.

Check out Doc Ponds in Stowe and Hen of the Wood in Waterbury for insane taplists as well as Black Back and Prohibition Pig in Waterbury (sight of the old alchemist). The Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury might be the best one in the country.

Personally I would make the drive to Hill Farmstead if you’re gonna be that close. There’s a reason it’s been the number one ranked brewery in the world by Rate Beer 4 of the last 6 years I think. It’s a cool little adventure and just an amazing place. The beers are so unbelievably well executed across all styles. Make sure to buy some Saisons while you’re there. Their standard “Farmstead” beers are an insane value at $10/750ml. It will be the best experience by far out of any brewery you’ll go to. You need to go if you haven’t been.

Lost Nation is cool, worth a stop on the way back to Stowe from HF.

Foam is right in downtown Burlington. People sweat this place hard. It’s. A great location and their beer are good (some would argue they’re insane) but they’ve never floored me.

Farmhouse is a great stop in Burlington for the best tap list and great food. Same restaurant group has a bunch of spots in Burlington that are great.

Never been to Frost but their beers are great.

Burlington Beer Company beers are always interesting.

Zero Garvity has a solid lineup of unassuming but very well executed beers.

Look out for Foley Brothers and Upper Pass beers. Tiny VT breweries pumping out some great beers.

Go to Hill Farmstead

I visited Burlington a couple years ago and discovered Zero Gravity.
Predicted then this will be the next 'big' Vermont brewery.
They really have some great beers.

I'd say the drive to Hill Farmstead is worth it. It's a pretty drive, the taproom is picturesque, and the beer is excellent. Parker Pie is a great stop if you head that way. And if you're into ciders at all, Shacksbury in Vergennes makes some excellent stuff.

I'd say the drive to Hill Farmstead is worth it. It's a pretty drive, the taproom is picturesque, and the beer is excellent. Parker Pie is a great stop if you head that way. And if you're into ciders at all, Shacksbury in Vergennes makes some excellent stuff.

Wow! Farm Homestead looks awesome. I want the Saison. It's my favorite style. I'm not sure it will be open when I'm in Stowe. Monday thru Wednesday morning.

Back