Bumping up to 5.5 or 6 gal to achieve 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineiac

Reaction score
Need to increase batch size to make up for accumulated loss during boiling and fermenting in conical.
Need to start with 6+ gal to end up with 5.
Brewing extract outside during the fall and winter months
Can or should I add extra DME to maintain body and ABV

I always bump up to almost 6 gallons without adding anything but extra water. Your OG and FG may be a few numbers off but you more than likely won’t notice a difference.
I bump up to 6 so by the time every thing is done and kegged I have a little over 5 gallons

Yes, you would need the extra to maintain the same original gravity with the increased volume. Roughly I would think you would be fine with scaling up by (5 gallons - gallons you actually ended up with)/gallons you ended up with x 100=percent increase in ingredients. If you were just getting 4 gallons, this would be (5-4)/4 x 100= 25% more on the ingredients.

Yep, I brew 5.5 gallon batches, but have approximately 6 gallons post boil to account for trub in the kettle. I will then put 5.5 gallons in fermenter to account for losses in fermenter trub, so that 5 gallons goes into keg.

I usually do 5.5-6.5 gallons depending on style and amount of trub/dry hop schedule I am doing. P.S. Love the username. Close buddy of mine is from Maine.

Back