Bumping up to 5.5 or 6 gal to achieve 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Maineiac

Reaction score
Need to increase batch size to make up for accumulated loss during boiling and fermenting in conical.
Need to start with 6+ gal to end up with 5.
Brewing extract outside during the fall and winter months
Can or should I add extra DME to maintain body and ABV

Nokie

Reaction score
I always bump up to almost 6 gallons without adding anything but extra water. Your OG and FG may be a few numbers off but you more than likely won’t notice a difference.
I bump up to 6 so by the time every thing is done and kegged I have a little over 5 gallons

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you would need the extra to maintain the same original gravity with the increased volume. Roughly I would think you would be fine with scaling up by (5 gallons - gallons you actually ended up with)/gallons you ended up with x 100=percent increase in ingredients. If you were just getting 4 gallons, this would be (5-4)/4 x 100= 25% more on the ingredients.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I brew 5.5 gallon batches, but have approximately 6 gallons post boil to account for trub in the kettle. I will then put 5.5 gallons in fermenter to account for losses in fermenter trub, so that 5 gallons goes into keg.

Reaction score
I usually do 5.5-6.5 gallons depending on style and amount of trub/dry hop schedule I am doing. P.S. Love the username. Close buddy of mine is from Maine.