Bulk aging questions ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindiB

Reaction score
Ok I have a little over 2 galons of my jqgm aging in one gallon jugs its stablized and I used campden to sanitize there is a lot of head space in one jug ... is this going to be ok ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

You can top off with some neutral white wine if it's just a bit, Or you can try to fill up a growler (half gallon) to the top instead of having a half full carboy.

Its done fermenting and in jugs suppose ill just see what happens with the jug that's 3/4 full

Right now all I've got are 1 gal jugs and waiting till pay day lol maybe I could add some cab merlot .... hmmm..

If it's just a couple of days it'll probably be fine. Also, I've read of people using marbles to displace and lessen headspace.

my experience with mead is less head space the better

but I have only done 3, so take that with a grain of salt

One thing I learned with wines, is you need to have some smaller bottles around. Some wines need to be racked a few times and you will lose volume. how to make that up is to have some bottles around you can rack into that are not full gallon size. that way you can compact as you compact

I have started out with 5 gallon batches and ended up with as little as 4 and a fifth. so instead of diluting the wine I started to use some odd size bottles and work down till the wine was ready to bottle

hope this helps

Thanks I think i just might put it in the fridge ....

Just pick up one of those CO2 air dusters that use the small CO2 cartridges instead of lessening the quality of your mead by adding things to top it off. I would never add water or wine or anything to my mead after spending that much on honey. Just spray CO2 inside the carboy slowly so it displaces the oxygen and problem solved. They sell them on brewing sites now but you can pick them up at electronics stores for half the price.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/soda-keg-co2-charger.html

Either that or just rack it into a keg and purge out the air for long term aging.

I decided to drink on it weekly each week it gets better and better can't say that the head space mattered

Latest posts

Back