Bulk Aging in plastic Better Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Von Tripel

Reaction score
From all the different forums I have perused I read that most people ferment in glass or plastic and then they age in glass.

Are most people afraid to bulk age a beer in a plastic container such as a Better Bottle because it might impart some kind of flavor to the beer after enough time?

That is the only main concern I have with aging in plastic. But if anyone has experimented with aging in plastic and found there to be no adverse effects to the beer I would love to know.

It would be great to buy a bunch of better bottles for the purpose of bulk aging as I have to have everything shipped to me and plastic weighs a lot less than glass!

From what the Better Bottles website says they should work great for bulk aging. I contacted them directly and asked specifically about bulk aging and whether or not they have experimented with it. So I'll be sure to report what they say.

I've got a big belgian that's been conditioning in my better bottle for 4 months as of the end of december. I had sampled Monday as I planned to bottle this weekend and it's tasting awesome, no problems with off-flavours at all (not that I was expecting any).

Back