Building Water from Distilled - Easy Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
Greetings all!

After reviewing my water report, it has become apparent that it will be a better option for me to build water from distilled rather than modifying my own. I have been playing around with the brewing water calculator at

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

I have acquired all of the brewing salts used in the program and am having problems easily hitting the built-in target profiles.

Does anyone have any techniques for hitting these numbers accurately?

Or...does anyone know where I can get "recipes" for famous brewing cities without figuring them out myself. I'm fine with figuring these numbers out myself but I have to believe other people are building water from distilled water too and I know there must be people who have figured this out already.

By the way, I am trying to make a dry American stout with WLP001.

As always, thanks for all the help!

NATE

I'm curious why you're "building" using distilled instead of just using bottled drinking water? It seems like it'd be a bit more work than I'd want to deal with, unless for a specific reason. Is it to have more control and able to produce different water for specific types of brews?

I am interested mainly in being able to target my water profiles specifically to each style off beer I am trying to produce. I am extremely interested in controlling flavors produced by different water ions. I am open to using RO water but only if I can get a water report for the RO water. I am in the process of doing so and finding a local source of RO water for cheap. For right now, however, I am mainly interested in building from the ground up.

depending on your batch size and how often you brew, you might consider getting an RO/DI unit, you can get a real nice one for less then $200, and no driving and lugging water. Can't you just dilute you current water to get "close" to the profile you are looking for?

I would love to be able to dilute my water but I can't even get a full water profile from my local water plant. The only numbers on the partial report are total hardness, which is through the roof. I just can't trust it, that's all. I have looked at the RO/DI units and, depending on how well I can adjust pure H2O, I might consider one. For now, I'm just looking for tips on adjusting ion levels using calculators.

I would love to be able to dilute my water but I can't even get a full water profile from my local water plant. The only numbers on the partial report are total hardness, which is through the roof. I just can't trust it, that's all. I have looked at the RO/DI units and, depending on how well I can adjust pure H2O, I might consider one. For now, I'm just looking for tips on adjusting ion levels using calculators.

Have you thought about getting a full water report from a lab? A good one for brewers only costs like $15.

I build mine from RO (not DI). For APA and IPA's (most of what I brew) I use:
2 tsp Chalk
2 tsp CaCl2
2 tsp Gypsum

I don't mess with adding Epsom salts (for Mg+) though it probably woudn't hurt. I'm getting enough Na+ from my source water (even after RO) that I don't have to add table salt.

I'm sure I could come up with a better profile if I did each by weight and dialed it in a bit, but 2 tsp of each is too darn easy.

For another option check this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/building-brewing-water-reverse-osmosis-ro-water-50850/

Back