Building up RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
I had a reverse osmosis system put in at our place. Where do I start to understand and start building up my water profile now? Water coming from my RO reservoir is like starting from scratch correct? Thanks!

It depends on your level of interest. Read the recommendations in the Water Primer that is stickied to the Brewing Science forum. If you want to get deeper, visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website.

An important thing to recognize is that RO water and distilled water do still require adjustment for most brewing and some level of ions in your brewing liquor is desirable from a taste standpoint.

It depends on your level of interest. Read the recommendations in the Water Primer that is stickied to the Brewing Science forum. If you want to get deeper, visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website.

An important thing to recognize is that RO water and distilled water do still require adjustment for most brewing and some level of ions in your brewing liquor is desirable from a taste standpoint.

Bru'n water = better beer. Thanks for creating such a great product.

Just getting started with the supporters version of Bru'n Water. I'm also using RO water and I'm preparing for my next brew (porter) on Aug 6th.

My plan was to conduct a test mash (first time doing this) using my new, first Hach Pocket Pro+, enter the findings into Bru'n to see how what I need to do to adjust my mash using either acid malt or lactic acid.

Not sure how to also use Bru'n to determine what other water additions I need for this style.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got two brews (kettle to keg) under my belt using RO water and the water primer suggestions. My beers seem more balanced and my phenols seem a little more yummy. I'm pretty sure that's not BJCP lingo. If I ever entered a beer I'm sure it would score better.

I think removing chloramine has played a huge role in my process. I was pushing my h2o through my carbon filter faster than I should have to really remove chloramine. I'm fortunate we have pretty good water in Chicagoland but the water primer make a great baseline to build on. I'm not sure how much further down the rabbit hole I'm going. I've learned I shouldn't say I'm done,I've found the holy grail and it's perfect because that's not really home brewing reality. I can say an RO system and the primer will get you to a really good benchmark.

Back