Building an All-Grain System - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So I have been slowly building my all-grain system. Would be long finished by now, but our A/C decided in July to stop working (19 years old) so, $4,500 later my plans had to change.

Could I use just one pump on a single tier system? I am running propane for my HLT and BK with HERMS system for the mash.

Any downsides? Thanks for the help!

One pump on a single tier means you are limited to batch sparging. That's not a bad thing if that's what you have planned, but if you want flexibility to batch or fly sparge, it would be best to build it as a two tier system to allow for two simultaneous flows.

What Bobby said. You can still technically fly sparge with one pump on a single tier, but you'll have to put the BK or another collection vessel on the ground during the sparge, and then lift it up when the sparge is done.

That is true but then there's really no advantage to that method over putting the HLT up high enough for gravity since water fill pressure can go as high up as you want. If you go that route, you're not lifting up heavy vessels which is really the reason for getting pump in the first place.

What Bobby said. You can still technically fly sparge with one pump on a single tier, but you'll have to put the BK or another collection vessel on the ground during the sparge, and then lift it up when the sparge is done.

This is what I do with only one pump, but technically it is a two tier. I can't think of a true single tier that could do fly sparge with only one pump.

In trying to get into All-Grain faster, can I not HERMS my mash? I won't have the cash for both a hop-spider and the HERMS Stainless steal tubing.

Thoughts? Thanks!

In trying to get into All-Grain faster, can I not HERMS my mash? I won't have the cash for both a hop-spider and the HERMS Stainless steal tubing.

Thoughts? Thanks!

You never have to have a HERMS or a RIMS. If you insulate your MLT, you won't need anything to help hold heat. It's handy for ramping temperatures, as well as holding temperatures, but it's definitely not necessary.

One pump and two tiers. I love my set up. Two pumps=twice the headache. You can put your HLT higher or your MLT (my set up) and use gravity (free and always works). $.02

You never have to have a HERMS or a RIMS. If you insulate your MLT, you won't need anything to help hold heat. It's handy for ramping temperatures, as well as holding temperatures, but it's definitely not necessary.

Thanks Yooper!

Just trying to get started. I have the 3 vessels, two pumps, plate chiller, and 2 false bottoms. Plus the valves but looking at camlocks from Bobby at brewhardware.com.

Anyone use camlocks or disconnects?

One pump and two tiers. I love my set up. Two pumps=twice the headache. You can put your HLT higher or your MLT (my set up) and use gravity (free and always works). $.02

Any pics? I have two burners right now and I can't build a stand right now. :(

Back