Building all in one unit through fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboybrewery

Reaction score
Hello all. I have finally narrowed my system build down to 2 models. Please help me with your input. I am building a true "all in one" unit, i will be brewing from start to finish including fermentation. I have located boil kettles which now are manufactured with a sealed lid(for fermentation). So I can build it from a boil kettle or a conical fermenter. I will have electric heat elements, temp control, plate chiller and pump. I will be using "brew in a bag" method(or basket). So I'm trying to determine which to build? The only thing a can come up with is the clarity may be superior using a conical design(I will be transferring to keg), but if I use a filter while I fill my keg, will that suffice? Thank you all for your comments. John.

Sorry if this post is redundant, I'm new to the forum. Cheers

I would only do it in a conical so that after the boil you can let the trub settle and drain out the bottom before pitching the yeast. I'm not a fan of leaving 100% of the kettle trub in the fermenter. The only thing stopping me from doing it is that I prefer to have my fermenters in dedicated refrigerators and it would be a hassle to move the conical into place. It would be easier with glycol cooling but I'm just not a fan of that system.

Of course this whole plan is predicated on brewing at a pace that waits for the vessel to be available so I hope you're not brewing more than once a month.

I am coming out the other end of the rabbit hole you are jumping in to.
One of the things I found early on is a triclamp fitting that connects to a mason jar. With a wide bore valve between this fitting and the bottom of the conical fermenter I am able to periodically able to dump trub during fermentation.

Another aspect of my design is that the pump, heating element and the heat exchanger are all removable from the conical fermenter. This way I can brew a batch while another batch is fermenting.

The current issue I am working on is lagering. I wish I had considered pressurized fermentation earlier in the design process. My SS Brewtech Chronicle will only hold about 5psi before it beginsts to leak. The next vessel I acquire will, I hope, be able to hold about 15 psi.

I am coming out the other end of the rabbit hole you are jumping in to.
One of the things I found early on is a triclamp fitting that connects to a mason jar. With a wide bore valve between this fitting and the bottom of the conical fermenter I am able to periodically able to dump trub during fermentation.

Another aspect of my design is that the pump, heating element and the heat exchanger are all removable from the conical fermenter. This way I can brew a batch while another batch is fermenting.

The current issue I am working on is lagering. I wish I had considered pressurized fermentation earlier in the design process. My SS Brewtech Chronicle will only hold about 5psi before it beginsts to leak. The next vessel I acquire will, I hope, be able to hold about 15 psi.

You should post pictures of this system. I am interested in seeing how you built this and how well it works.

Latest posts

Back