Building a stout. I have a hope question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewboz

Reaction score
Does willimett go good with German hallertau? Planning to use 1 oz. Of each at 60 min.

7lb pale 2lb flaked barely 1 lb roasted barely, 2. Oz carafa 3. Nottingham yeast

Making a stout ;) thanks for the input and knowledge

Last edited:
For 60 min additions, I don't worry too much about how well the hops go together. You will have very little, if any, hop flavor or aroma in that beer, you'll just be getting bitterness from the hops and the flavor will be dominated by the malt.

And for some unsolicited feedback on the recipe, that seems like a lot of roasted barley and oats for what i'm assuming is a 2.5G AG batch. I'd consider cutting the RB and oats in half, doubling the carafa III to 4oz and adding a pound of pale.

Actually the original recipe is. 6lb pal 2lb flaked barely (correction) 1 pound roasted barely 2 oz willimett. 5 gallons. I added an extra # of pale 2 oz carafa3 and the german hops to make it my own recipe

Last edited:
Forget the German hops and malt. They have no place in an English style. Maybe a 1/4 lb light Chocolate and an equal amount of Heritage Crystal. Use some Goldings at whirlpool. S-04

Forget the German hops and malt. They have no place in an English style. Maybe a 1/4 lb light Chocolate and an equal amount of Heritage Crystal. Use some Goldings at whirlpool. S-04[/QUOTtg
Forget the German hops and malt. They have no place in an English style. Maybe a 1/4 lb light Chocolate and an equal amount of Heritage Crystal. Use some Goldings at whirlpool. S-04

This is the recipe original recipe that I changed.
O’Davey Stout
ALL-GRAIN
Batch size: 5 gallons (5.25 gallons before packaging)
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBUs: 43
ABV: 4.4%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
6 lb (2.7 kg) pale malt
2 lb (0.9 kg) flaked barley
1 lb (0.5 kg) roasted barley

HOPS SCHEDULE
2 oz (57 g) Willamette [6% AA] at 60 minutes

YEAST
Danstar Nottingham dry yeast

Aaah, ok, with what you first posted, i had assumed something more like an american stout or imperial stout with a smaller batch size. I've never made a stout under 1.055. :)

Showing the full original recipe, it's obvious that it was originally something along an irish stout at 4.4% ABV.

I'd stand by my initial comment on the hops. The varieties won't make a big difference here, you're not getting much more than bitterness from them.

I wouldn't worry about making changes just to make it your own recipe. If you brewed it, it's your beer. Doesn't matter where the recipe came from.

Aaah, ok, with what you first posted, i had assumed something more like an american stout or imperial stout with a smaller batch size. I've never made a stout under 1.055. :)

Plenty of English Stouts were under 1055. Some as low as 1043 in the early to mid 20th century: Barclay Perkins and Ushers come to mind. A lot of Scottish Stouts too were under 1050: McEwen, Wm. Younger, Tennent to name a few.

Or more relevantly, modern Guinness is around 1.042. A recent Brewlab survey found that commercial British stouts were now weaker than porters - presumably because a lot are chasing the Guinness market - and the average OG is around 1.047-ish.

Back