Building a new Brewing Rig... Need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flanman

Reaction score
Ok, so I made the switch years ago to all grain and have had a lot of success with it. That being said I am no expert. I am finally moving up to a bigger system. I feel that 10 gallon batches would suite me best but I am having some trouble deciding on a RIMS or HERMS system...or going with good old Propane or Electric. I live in Alaska so its going to be pretty expensive either way!!. What are some of your experiences? If any? :tank:

If expense is the primary concern, I'd look at the cost of gas verses electric based off your local costs for each. If you are not too worried about cost, I'd go with electric in a heart beat....especially up in Alaska where with electric you don't have to have your brew space ventilated like with gas, so you can keep a warmer brew space without the expense of building in a ventilation system for the combustion. Pro's and Con's of HERMS v RIMS have plenty of threads so I won't go into my thoughts on that...I'll just say I really like electric, I like brewing with my garage shut in the winter to keep warm and I like not listening to the blast furnace of 60K+ btu's.

I love electric BIAB. and will never go back. I can just plug into the wall and control heat and a pump from a panel. Best of all it's quiet.

So even with brewing electric in the garage I will still need some sort of ventilation even for the steam/ moisture produced during the cold winter weather. Otherwise I would face condensation and probably mold in the garage. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking just a basic range top vent. Or have you not had the same issues with excessive boil off using electric?
Cost wise Propane fluctuates horribly up here. Currently the price is lower than electric but that wasn't the case a few years back plus the tend to increase during winter when they know they can gouge you.
I think we are paying somewhere in the 17-18 cents per KW/H right now.
Any thoughts on going 50A or 30A? I think it would be nice to be able to fire both elements and run a pump. Thanks again.

In Alaska I would go electric. The extended cold season makes electric the most sensible. No venting of deadly gases. Not sure of you DIY abilities, but electric can be done reasonably. I brew HERMS with Natural Gas. I was a novice when I built it. Haven't used the HERMS in a long time. Single infusion, fly sparger now. I do 15-20 gallon batches.

So even with brewing electric in the garage I will still need some sort of ventilation even for the steam/ moisture produced during the cold winter weather. Otherwise I would face condensation and probably mold in the garage. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking just a basic range top vent. Or have you not had the same issues with excessive boil off using electric?

Any thoughts on going 50A or 30A? I think it would be nice to be able to fire both elements and run a pump. Thanks again.

Yeah, having a vent hood would be a nice benefit when it gets cold to get the moisture out, otherwise you need to open the garage. When its warm out though I don't have much a steam issue.

I'm currently in process of switching my 30 amp to 50 amp. 30 does the trick but its not terribly more expensive to go for 50. Or you could be like me and build a 30 and regret not going to 50 almost immediately.

50 amp no doubt. I'd by an exhaust fan run it outside. I'd use a duct piece to remove at the exit and put rigid Styrofoam to seal. No doubt you will have to exit the moisture. I think there is info about this on the electricbrewing site.

I've done electric brewing in my garage in the Winter and I still had to have my garage door open during the boil. There was a lot of steam and condensation. A good ventilation system is necessary unless you like being cold. I've decided that I will not brew when the weather is miserable.

Ok sounds good!. I have a buddy coming over to take a look and see what all will be needed to install the service in the garage. I have started looking for used kegs and other random resources to start piecing it together. Other than electric brewing what are some good resources for parts? I am probably going to build my own control cabinet (I have a pretty good background in industrial automation and PLC controls) so it should be fine just need to know what elements everyone is having luck with and which PID controllers everyone is using and why? I have heard you really want to have PWM for the boil kettle to tune it to maintain the boil.

Ok, so I made the switch years ago to all grain and have had a lot of success with it. That being said I am no expert. I am finally moving up to a bigger system. I feel that 10 gallon batches would suite me best but I am having some trouble deciding on a RIMS or HERMS system...or going with good old Propane or Electric. I live in Alaska so its going to be pretty expensive either way!!. What are some of your experiences? If any? :tank:

I've run both rims and herms. Started with a herms and was frustrated with the time it took to change temperatures (in a step mash and with mash out). I have been very pleased with the performance of the rims and have never had any scorching issues. The rims is running on 110v ULWD element.

My system is a gas electric hybrid which works well for my situation. If I had the ability to use 240V, I would probably go all electric as propane costs more than my electric (rates here are certainly less than in AK).

Link to my build thread should have a few pics of the system.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=541671&page=7

Just an update. I finally found the BR-style 50 Amp breaker and we are going to be installing it in the garage this coming week and wiring into my panel. I have acquired 2 of the three half barell kegs and should start cutting lids this week if all goes well. Its going to be a little slow on the build but I will be posting pictures. Currently the plan is listed below:
1. 50 amp service GFCI breaker with 4 prong plug
2. 1 5500 watt ULD element in the HLT
3. 1 4500 watt ULD element in the Boil kettle
4. Undecided on Electric Brew panel Need idea or recommendations here.
5. All fittings will be welded TC style including element holes.

:mug:Just finished installing the 240 VAC 50 AMP GFCI service in the garage for the new brewing rig. Figured I would post some pictures.

iphone 11-14-16 423.jpg

iphone 11-14-16 424.jpg

Latest posts

Back