Bug in my Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowsmith8

Reaction score
During the weeks it took to drink my first home brew I collected the yeast from the bottom of the bottles (I would have done this after primary or even secondary if I had realized at the time, but I was an extreme noob, now I'm just a noob, and didn't know I could reuse yeast). I plan on brewing tonight, so I made a starter yesterday. When I poured the contents of the collected yeast into the starter wort, I saw a very tiny bug (it looked like a big gnat or a small fly) floating at the top. I believe that the bug came from the collected yeast. But there was no mold or anything weird growing in the bottle containing the yeast. What should I do? Should I dump the starter and just use a package of dry yeast I have for emergencies? The starter was bubbling this morning, so I know that the yeast is okay? Should I just pour out the bug and use the starter, or am I asking for an infection if I do this? Please help? Thanks.

bugs are protien. prolly a fruit fly, they don't drink much either... ;)

it should be fine mate. :)

anyone with a PigPen avatar must know what they are talking about. :D Thanks for the info.

Back