Bucket top about to burst!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
Brewed a Tripel yesterday, came in at 1.084 OG. Used two smack packs of Wyeast (can't remember which kind, notes aren't in front of me at the moment). Just checked the bucket and the airlock is full of the beer, and the lid is bulging and could blow at any minute.

This is the highest gravity beer I've ever brewed..

Any suggestions to keep the bucket from blowing????

Yup. ^

Grab a clean hand towel, wrap it around the base of the airlock & pop it off veeeery slightly to let some of the pressure out. Then just sterilize some 5/16" tubing (you do have some 5/16" tubing, right?? :p), put the free end into a tub of sanitizer & let it do its thing.

Yup. ^

Grab a clean hand towel, wrap it around the base of the airlock & pop it off veeeery slightly to let some of the pressure out. Then just sterilize some 5/16" tubing (you do have some 5/16" tubing, right?? :p), put the free end into a tub of sanitizer & let it do its thing.

If you don't have 5/16 tubing and your airlock is the three-piece variety, you can use 1/2" tubing connected to the inside of the airlock instead.

Just lift the seal on the lid to release the pressure, or pull out the airlock and then hook up a blow-off tube. Or, just leave the lid loose for a couple of days while the fermentation is really active. I do this with all my beers.

Pop the lid so its partially open for awhile. In the future a blowoff tube will take care of this.

Latest posts

Back