Bubbling after three weeks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo

Reaction score
Hi!
I am quite new to brewing, and I have a problem with my fourth batch, a hoppy white, is strange: after 3 days strong bubbling, the airlock steadily bubbles (about 1 or 2 times a min) 20 more days! I cannot read an account of such long bubbling anywhere.
The problem is I didn't measure the OG (newbie), so that can't help me deciding when it's time to bottle. Could it be that it's summer and the temp in the room is swinging between 65 and 77 F?

Recipe:
5 liters batch

400 g wheat malt
300 g pale ale malt
90 g vienna malt
110 g flaked barley
220 g flaked wheat

mashing schedule:
30' at 40° C
30' at 60°
30' at 70°

9 g hallertauer (60 min tot)
6 g fuggles at 45 min (15 tot)
wheat yeast: 3 g

Any suggestion is appreciated!

20 days its most definately done. Your OG doesnt matter in determining if its done.

Go take a Gravity reading with your hydrometer. Tommorrow do the same thing. On the 3rd day if all of the readings are the same its done and you can bottle it.

If its a really high final gravity reading you get on those 3 days (like > 1.020) then your yeast may have crapped out and you shouldn't bottle it until you can make sure its not going to drop on you again. But fermenting at that temp i dont see how your yeast could have crapped out.

Well, heading your tip I bottled it,
and it seems to taste good, very alcoholic though! FG was low, about 1012.
Why it was still bubbling away, that remains a mystery. I hope no bottle will explode...

Did you move or disturb the fermenter in any way? Could just be off gassing of dissolved CO2. Sounds like you made the right call bottling now anyway.

Latest posts

Back