Bry-97

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
So I decided to give danstars bry-97 a try in a red ale that I brewed last week. So far it has been the most finicky yeast that I have used. Took 3 days to start fermenting and was vigorous for another 2. Now nothing. Took a hydrometer and it was at 1.044. The og was 1.055. When do I decide to re-pitch? It's been fermenting at about 63 degrees, so I know that's not the issue.

Well it is fermenting, I guess you could pitch more if you want. I've had a lot of slow starters myself, I try not to get too alarmed but it's hard not to panic.

I wish I had experience with that particular yeast, but I find myself using D47 almost exclusively for meads, ciders and wine.

I've used it without issue (and would use it again), but I've read of others having the 36-hour lag. This is the first I've heard of it being stuck.

Your description of two days vigorous activity but it only getting to 1.044 makes me wonder if your hydro sample might have had sufficient dissolved CO2 to mess up the reading. Before taking any action, may I suggest getting another sample, letting it sit at room temp an hour and moving/twirling the hydrometer around in the sample tube to make sure no bubbles are influencing the instrument.

Back