BRY-97 Dark Color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belowi

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to pitch BRY-97 into a pale ale and am concerned about the yeast. When I first opened the packet to rehydrate my immediate impression was that it looked a lot darker than other times I’ve used it (or any yeast for that matter). The expiration date isn’t for a few weeks but I’m thinking it’s past, anyone ever run into this yeast being a dark brown color?

Attachments

• 9C012FD1-2234-4EF0-A98A-3296D39A8A58.jpeg
    9C012FD1-2234-4EF0-A98A-3296D39A8A58.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have had 2 different yeasts look exactly like this from Lallemand and wondered WTF the deal was. The beers turned out fine, but it worried me too. It certainly isn't the way dry yeast should look.

I have had 2 different yeasts look exactly like this from Lallemand and wondered WTF the deal was. The beers turned out fine, but it worried me too. It certainly isn't the way dry yeast should look.
I’m glad yours came out OK, I was really put off by the color and it didn’t smell like I remembered so I dumped it. I’ve never run into that before.

I swapped in a Cellar Science Cali packet I had on hand, looking forward to this Pale Ale!

I've had that too as of late, and I've read other reports of it. I think the conclusion was that Lallemand changed something to their processing procedure, hence the colour. It should be fine though. I haven't had any issues yet.

Back