Bru'n water and bicarbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eapoll11

Reaction score
Think this is the right section but I just started my first all grain batch and used Bru'n Water to adjust my water. Right now I am planning a new beer and just realized I paid attention to the water profile with the calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfate and Chloride for the water profile I was looking at but not the bicarbonate. Should I be matching that as well for the desired water profile?

Think this is the right section but I just started my first all grain batch and used Bru'n Water to adjust my water. Right now I am planning a new beer and just realized I paid attention to the water profile with the calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfate and Chloride for the water profile I was looking at but not the bicarbonate. Should I be matching that as well for the desired water profile?

No, not at all. There is no "target" for bicarbonate. The mash pH is what's important, and bicarbonate impacts that but otherwise it's not a part of what the mashing water needs.

Ideally, the sparge water would be 0 bicarbonate, or least very low.

No, not at all. There is no "target" for bicarbonate. The mash pH is what's important, and bicarbonate impacts that but otherwise it's not a part of what the mashing water needs.

Ideally, the sparge water would be 0 bicarbonate, or least very low.

so when inputting everything into Bru'n water, I don't have to pay much attention to the bicarbonate for a water profile?

so when inputting everything into Bru'n water, I don't have to pay much attention to the bicarbonate for a water profile?

Well, not the actual number but you want to hit a mash pH of 5.3-5.5 or so. So, if you have too much alkalinity you'll want to add some acid. Normally that is the case, and most pale beers need some acid but in a very dark beer with lots of roasted grains, water with a bit of bicarbonate is helpful to keep the mash pH from driving too low.

Well, not the actual number but you want to hit a mash pH of 5.3-5.5 or so. So, if you have too much alkalinity you'll want to add some acid. Normally that is the case, and most pale beers need some acid but in a very dark beer with lots of roasted grains, water with a bit of bicarbonate is helpful to keep the mash pH from driving too low.

I guess im getting confused. So I can focus mainly on the calcium, mag., sodium, sulfate, chloride to match water profile and using an acid (lactic or phosp.) if needed, to help with the ph. The resulting bicarbonate number after calculating all that, I shouldn't be concerned with?

I guess im getting confused. So I can focus mainly on the calcium, mag., sodium, sulfate, chloride to match water profile and using an acid (lactic or phosp.) if needed, to help with the ph. The resulting bicarbonate number after calculating all that, I shouldn't be concerned with?

Correct. And for sparging, using RO water or water with very little alkalinity is preferable. You can treat the sparging water with acid also, if needed, or use RO water. The lower the alkalinity, in general, the better.

Back