Bru Gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELL YEAH! Hey I don't think I can get that Whirlpool arm any closer now can I? LOL

KILLER WORK MAN!

Cheers
Jay

Really nice work there on the setup, very clean looking.

As a Bru Gear owner I've been following this post with great interest and agree with the lack of support, I met Phil in Phoenix and he was a super nice guy but unfortunately the company hasn't delivered on the talk. My experience echo's those of the many that don't receive any response to queries.

Who made the tubes that are we looking at inside the kettle? I really don't wish to start reading the thread from the beginning (again) and would appreciate the cliff note version!

Much obliged to everyone working on this process.

Bru Gear arms.png

As a Bru Gear owner I've been following this post with great interest and agree with the lack of support, I met Phil in Phoenix and he was a super nice guy but unfortunately the company hasn't delivered on the talk. My experience echo's those of the many that don't receive any response to queries.

Who made the tubes that are we looking at inside the kettle? I really don't wish to start reading the thread from the beginning (again) and would appreciate the cliff note version!

I feel your pain. The support is just not there. Kettles are great just no support.

Check out http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com for the tubes. Jay has hooked me up with dip tubs and more for the kettles. He's got the right idea for them!

I'll have a pic up of my finished system soon. Got everything in but the wall outlet now.

Sorry to hear about the lack of communication from their end. Those draw tubes are built by me. If you want something custom built I am happy to help. Feel free to just shoot me a PM if you need anything

Cheers
Jay

Just got my Colorado Brewing whirlpool elbow with plans to use it as my pickup. Fits nice and tight to the wall and is bigger diameter then other pickups I have looked at. Looks like it is going to work great!!

elbow.jpg

The Colorado Brewing elbow fits pretty good but... Of coarse everything thing is better with a few mods...

Milling the elbow so it sits nicely in the kettle...

elbow1.jpg

elbow2.jpg

Next on to adding a trub damn

elbow3.jpg

elbow4.jpg

While I was at it I cut down the extra long thremowell

elbow5.jpg

I too, was just about to purchase some Brew Gear brew equipment. I was going to purchase a 10 Gallon Electric Brew Kettle. Are there any updates on the condition of purchased Brew Gear Equipment upon delivery. I also wanted to know if Brew Gear Kettle users like the product and would recommend them if the shipping quality control issues were solved?

I too, was just about to purchase some Brew Gear brew equipment. I was going to purchase a 10 Gallon Electric Brew Kettle. Are there any updates on the condition of purchased Brew Gear Equipment upon delivery. I also wanted to know if Brew Gear Kettle users like the product and would recommend them if the shipping quality control issues were solved?

Aside from the lack of any genuine customer support the product does what it is designed to do. I have the exact kettle you are looking at and am very happy with its performance. It is sturdy, welds are good and looks fine except that the Bru Gear logo is off-center with the handles and TC fittings, but fortunately the wort doesn't care about that.

Cheers

Read up on them before you give then your money, there are a lot of horror stories. After then taking over 2 weeks to get back with me with a simple question I decided they weren't for me.

I ended up ordering a Colorado brewing kettle!

I like the kettles. After a long time I'll be able to fire my system up finally. If I had it to do over again I would probably do Stout take or SS Brewing.

I really like my kettle, but it arrived with deep gouges inside on the bottom plate. It looked like sloppy finishing or someone simply dropped a grinder in there on accident...and they shipped as is. Those now rust and I have to keep cleaning them with Bar Keeper's Friend. I never received a response from them when I contacted them about it. The lid was also warped and doesn't fit correctly. I also tried to contact them recently about a dip tube listed on the website, and never received a response. I tried contacting them on their website form, on email, and on their FB page. Nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend them because it is obvious the customer service has managed to get far worse this year and they often ship damaged items and you won't be able to get in contact with them.

I'll add I like the kettles, I really do. When the arrived they were just a bit warped and bent. I was able to get it straightened out but the lids still don't fit right. That's probably the biggest negative, the lid. Not heavy duty really and just have to be forced in to fit. If I had to do it again I don't think I would go with the HERMS coil being mounted on a lid either. I'll know more after I do my run through.

Rich711,

I have a Bru-Gear E-Hermes and I would say that it is a fine pot but by having the element directly opposing the valve, there is no room for a dip tube. I am not fond of this. When it came time to get a e-Kettle for the BK I went to colorado brewing and got a custom one with a whirlpool return that is just over the height of the element so I can easily do 5 gallon batches in the 10G pot. The return on the Bru-Grear pot is too high and regardless of whether of not hot side aeration exists I don't want to risk it.

Hope this helps,

-t

Thanks for the info. This is a disappointment as I really liked the tri-clover fittings and the built in port for the heating element. I also liked the look as the brew gear will eventually be part of a basement brew pub.

I received my Colorado brewing systems kettle today with tri-clove connections. WOW! Is it a beauty. I'll get some pictures up. And the welds are excellent!

Rich711,

I have a Bru-Gear E-Hermes and I would say that it is a fine pot but by having the element directly opposing the valve, there is no room for a dip tube. ....... The return on the Bru-Grear pot is too high and regardless of whether of not hot side aeration exists I don't want to risk it.
-t

I brew with a 3500W induction top but was looking for faster boiling capability so I added the new 4500W stainless element from Brewers hardware. I can now power both heating elements simultaneously from my 40A 240V sub panel. In a recent test run of just water, my boiling time for a 7 gal batch went from around an hour to just 20 minutes. There is 3/16" clearance between the element and the modified Colorado Brewing whirlpool arm (thank you msjulian) that I shortened to form a dip tube. Dip tube sits 1/4" above the kettle bottom.

To mitigate hot side aeration during the chiller sanitizing cycle I'm using a Norcal whirlpool (thanks to Jaybird) arm to bring the material well below the liquid level.

Rich711: Here's my kettle with the handle, logo and TC fitting alignment issue as previously mentioned.

Just put all these mods in so it hasn't been christened yet.

After taking these images and seeing the pit marks & scratches on the bottom I'm thinking I might have to passivate again.

Dip-Ele clearance (1 of 1).jpg

1509_0185_Bru Gear.jpg

1509_0194_Bru Gear.jpg

1509_0189_Bru Gear.jpg

1509_0183_Bru Gear.jpg

1509_0196_Bru Gear.jpg

I like to be proven wrong when the answer is a good one.

Ihop2many, I love your solution and want to copy you. Your solution has a lot of character.

What did you ask Jay for exactly at NorCal and did you cut off the Colorado brewing whirlpool brewing arm? I am pretty sure that Jay at NorCal can do the same thing.

You can PM me if you want to take this off list.

Cheers!

-Timur

Ihop2many, your layout of the kettles is completely different than mine. And I mean from Bru Gear. My element port is on the right side of the kettle directly below the return port. I bet it was frustrating to have the dip tube be that close to the element. I don't know why they are different but maybe after making yours they decided to change it up.

I too use Jay's stuff for the whirlpool/return port. He also did my dip tubes and I have no complaints. I'll have pics/write up of my system soon. It's almost completely ready. I need to passivate mine as well.

I like to be proven wrong when the answer is a good one.

Ihop2many, I love your solution and want to copy you. Your solution has a lot of character.

What did you ask Jay for exactly at NorCal and did you cut off the Colorado brewing whirlpool brewing arm? I am pretty sure that Jay at NorCal can do the same thing.

You can PM me if you want to take this off list.

Cheers!

-Timur

Timur
Feel free to PM me directly as well if you have questions. I'm here to help if I can.

Cheers
Jay

Cheers!

-Timur

Timur
Norcal: SKU 2434 (just put 2434 in the Norcal search engine). Tri Clover - Custom Whirlpool Arm – 2 1/8" long x 10” high.
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Tri-Clover-1.5-Inch-Custom-Whirlpool-Arm.html

Colorado Brewing: Whirlpool 90 degree 1" TC fitting with clamp and gasket.
http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/products/whirlpool-90-degree-1-tc-fitting-with-clamp-and-gasket
I had to cut this heavy duty fitting with a hacksaw and polish it with emery cloth to make it fit for purpose, not difficult at all just needs patience. The inside top edge of my lower TC fitting is 2.31 inches above kettle bottom so I needed to cut off 0.675". The tube is 1.0" OD, it could pump out my basement if needed! Center of TC fitting to bottom is about 1.63". Yours may vary as unfortunately I'm sure there's little kettle to kettle manufacturing consistency.

It makes it a lot more fun when companies like these two offer great product & support.

Cheers

Ihop2many,

Thanks for the info, I reached out to JayBird but you have given me everything I need.

I really like the diameter of the colorado brewing whirlpool but if it is going to a 1/2 valve or hose does it really matter?

I see Jaybird has both the standard whirlpool return you mentioned and the bru gear dip tube (2461) for TC with 1/2 tubing. I think that works for me and will put in an order closer to getting my elements so if there are issues with fit I can take advantage of the return.

I appreciate the info.

Cheers!

I finally got all my stuff up and running after a few struggles. It's been a long time coming. Thanks to Jay for all the help with the whirlpool returns and the dip tubes. I did a wet run of the HLT and pumps the other day. Plan on doing a full we run tonight.

Has everyone been passivating their kettles? I can do that tonight if I have to but I've never had to before. I know in the original post the OP said he had to. I guess I could always do the full wet run then passivate if I need to before brewing this weekend.

IMG_20151003_120047193_zpsjiopeoho.jpg

Edit: still got to get my wall mounted fan to help with condensation but hopefully I won't have too much this weekend. I'll have the controller mounted on the wall soon as well.

I finally got all my stuff up and running after a few struggles. It's been a long time coming. Thanks to Jay for all the help with the whirlpool returns and the dip tubes. I did a wet run of the HLT and pumps the other day. Plan on doing a full we run tonight.

Has everyone been passivating their kettles? I can do that tonight if I have to but I've never had to before. I know in the original post the OP said he had to. I guess I could always do the full wet run then passivate if I need to before brewing this weekend.

IMG_20151003_120047193_zpsjiopeoho.jpg

Edit: still got to get my wall mounted fan to help with condensation but hopefully I won't have too much this weekend. I'll have the controller mounted on the wall soon as well.

What panel are you using there?

I contacted Bru Gear an ask about their quality Control Problems. The following is their response:

Rich, apologies for the slow response, we are working ona new channel strategy to address the very high volume of contact we receive, selling direct has been a struggle. We changed boxes to reduce shipping issues, everything is double boxed and we changed how we pack items in kettles to avoid the possibility of scratching. We had some quality issues and we had some early add ons that were polarizing, you either loved or hated them, we're very happy with our current product quality and continue to strive to introduce competitive solutions that leverage our commercial work.

Hey guys,

1) I'm thinking about a Bru Gear setup, and wondered how people like them? How is the quality of the welds and overall system? They seem to have everything I want for an electric setup (Element port, Temp and Valve port, recirculation port, HERMS coil, False bottom, tri clad, tri clover fittings).

2) What are your general thoughts on getting 10 versus 15 gallon kettles? I want to do mostly 5 gallon batches, so likely going with 10 Gallon unless you guys think I should just bite the bullet and spend another $170 for the 15 gallon setup. Thoughts? Space is a limitation, so the smaller the better. I just want to know if people are adamant about NOT doing 10gal setups and their reasoning.

I'm an EE and going to build my own panel with PID control and minimal automation/logging via some modbus equipment we use at work. 2 pump, 2 coil HERMs is what I'm aiming for.

I'm thinking I'll recirculate the hot wort through HERMS coil in an Ice bath to bring the entire BK down to pitching temp before I drain into the fermenter.

Hey guys,

2) What are your general thoughts on getting 10 versus 15 gallon kettles? I want to do mostly 5 gallon batches, so likely going with 10 Gallon unless you guys think I should just bite the bullet and spend another $170 for the 15 gallon setup. Thoughts? Space is a limitation, so the smaller the better. I just want to know if people are adamant about NOT doing 10gal setups and their reasoning.

I'm thinking I'll recirculate the hot wort through HERMS coil in an Ice bath to bring the entire BK down to pitching temp before I drain into the fermenter.

My Bru Gear 10 gall is pretty solid and the TC fittings are real nice with good welds.

Blichman has the following recommendation on their site regarding kettle sizing:
Recommended Three Kettle Systems For Typical Batch Sizes (HLT / Mash / Boil)

5 gal batch: 7.5/7.5/10 or for high gravity beers consider a 10 / 10 / 10
10 gal batch: 15 / 15 / 20

I also considered going the HERMS route for cooling but decided in this method, couldn't be happier. For me it brings the wort temperature down to 1 maybe 2 deg above the water's ambient temp: model B3 36A
http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX3620BWGH

Happy brewing:tank:

Thanks for the uber quick reply.

I'm asking if I can order without hardware (thermowell, thermo, valve, clamps) so I can add my own sensors and valves. Plan is still the 10G system with HERMS.

Starting to work on my control cabinet and get 240V added to the garage.

Customer Service Still in the toilet eh?

Anyone with recent contact with Brew Gear have anything good to report?

Still hoping they get their act together. If not by next summer, I will have to start looking for another vendor.

I never heard back from BruGear from my numerous attempts to get a dip tube. People complain on Facebook about lack of responses and the posts get deleted. I think the welds on my 15gal kettle are mediocre, some bad some good. That coupled with the gouge in the inside bottom at delivery and the terrible customer service has me on the DO NOT RECOMMEND side.

I've had decent response from Phil the last couple weeks. Not super quick but he always responds. Waiting to see if anything goes on sale Friday before I pull the trigger.

Back