Brown sugar stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
When I was in Hartford, CT a few years back I went to the City Steam Brewery Cafe, and had what they called a Jamaican brown sugar stout. It was very much a dessert beer, as it was quite sweet, and tasted strongly of brown sugar. I tried getting in contact with the brewmaster a while back, but never heard back from them.

Anyone have experience getting a distinctive brown sugar flavor in beer? I've used a pound or so in a few batches in the past, but never enough to really make much difference as opposed to using just plain sugar. I know the "brown sugar" flavor is essentially molasses, so I figure I may have to just skip the sugar and use molasses directly, so as not to end up with tons of cane sugar leading to a thin, cidery stout. But, of course I have no concept for what quantity of molasses to even use as a starting point.

I'm planning to buy (and subsequently dump down the drain) a couple 1-gallon glass jugs of cheap wine and repurpose the bottles as fermenters for 1-gal experimental batches, so I may try brewing up a couple gallons of a generic base stout recipe and add varying amounts of molasses to it in each fermenter, but if anyone has any advice on a good starting point it would save me a lot of time.

I'd try using Sucanat too. It's less refined than even turbinado. I've used it in several things (Papazian has it in an ESB recipe I believe), and it works well. Has some amount of fermentability, but brings alot of that brown sugar taste without being refined.

I would think that the brown sugar could cut or dry a strong rich stout to give it a better attenuation. Brown sugar is refined sugar with molasses added. It might be interesting to use aan unrefined sugar like EVAN suggests and a bit of molasses.

Was the beer roasty, sweet, chocolatey, bitter? Give us some ideas of what flavors you want in balance and we can probably come up with something tasty!

Sucanat looks interesting, I wonder if I can find it around here - I'll have to look. I like the idea of using some sucanat and some molasses.

It's been like 2+ years since I had it, and my beer palate at the time was pretty undeveloped, but as I recall, it wasn't extremely roasty, chocolatey, or bitter - more smooth, full-bodied, and relatively sweet. Not that I don't enjoy a nice bold stout in general, but as I said, this is more of a dessert beer - probably a bit too cloying to drink more than one of in a sitting though.

Hrm, maybe a nice thick smooth oatmeal stout would be a good starting point - after all, brown sugar goes well in a bowl of oatmeal, so why not in beer?
With that in mind, I'm thinking of starting with the basic oatmeal stout recipe from BYO, scaling it down to 2 gallons, and tweaking to include the sucanat/molasses, something like:
3lb pale malt
6.4oz crystal 60L
7.2oz quick oats
3.2oz chocolate malt
3.2oz roasted barley
6oz sucanat
<some amount of molasses>
bittering hops only (english - EKG or fuggle), and irish ale yeast

Back