Brown Rice Syrup vs. Rice Syrup Solids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleypariah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
TL;DR - "Does anyone have any experience with either Brown Rice Syrup or Rice Syrup Solids? How interchangeable are they?"

I am planning on making a clone of a particular American lager here soon, and according to other homebrewers on the internet, the recipe calls for 2 lbs of brown rice syrup to be added to the boil.

The general argument for using rice syrup in American lager is that it adds alcohol, leaves a lighter mouth feel, and that American swill companies are being cheap by using it.
Well, I am able to find brown rice syrup online, but it is expensive. $10~$20 per pound after shipping.

My LHBS sells rice syrup solids for a little over $3 per pound. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two ingredients? How interchangeable are they? Do you know where to buy brown rice syrup for a better price?

Last edited:
Or you can save on cost and skip the shipping and do like “Cream of three crops” by adding Minute Rice to the mash

Back