Brown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palzhaus

Reaction score
These are home grown of an undetermined variety and this year's crop decided to turn brown while I dried it. Are these stilled useable or are they a lost cause?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1475348387.421794.jpg
I air-dried them in a green house with an average temp between 65-85 deg, depending on the time of day. Humidity was low because the room is currently serving as storage.

I wouldn't use them. If you want to try, you can make a hop tea with a few cones and see how it tastes.

At least grab a few cones, smush them between your palms and give them a good sniff.
If the aroma is pleasant with no off notes they'll be fine to use...

Cheers!

Are they sun bleached as they were dried in a greenhouse? smell them, if they smell ok I'd use them

Wow, hops usually only get that way after years and years of sitting or if exposed to temperatures of 160F or above. Maybe it was the sun?

They probably don't have a lot of alpha acids, so don't use them for bittering. As ong said, make a tea and see how you could use them.

Latest posts

Back