Brown Apricot Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badseed

Reaction score
There is a local brewery in my area that has a so-so brown ale. One night while out drinking with some friends we somehow ended up mixing this brown ale with 50% apricot ale and voila a great tasting brown with a hint of apricot aroma:tank:. Now my goal is to recreate this mutant. I am looking for help as to how I can approach this beast. Obviously a basic brown ale recipe is in order along with some apricot extract. The problem I am running into is that I need to "thin" out the brown ale to resemble the 50/50 mixture that was created at the bar. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I am thinking something along these lines may work. Most of these ingredients are items that I have on hand which is why I chose them. I am sure that there may be some better suited alternatives which I am open to.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Briess LME Gold (4.0 SRM) Extract 7 75.0 %
8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 6.3 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.3 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
4.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.1 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 17.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 24.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
4.00 oz Apricot Extract (Bottling 0.0 mins) Flavor 11 -

I really like this idea. I did a few apricot beers in the summer and they were all fan favorites. I was wondering myself if a nut brown ale with some pecans or something in the mash would be good with the apricots (that would be all grain though). Looking at your recipe, I would personally ditch the special roast, and up the biscuit to 8 oz. I am not an extract brewer so I don't know where crystal fits into the mix but I like about 10-15% crystal malts in a brown ale.

Also, I would ditch the extract. I went to the grocery store and bought apricots in a can (in pear juice, no corn syrup or other chemicals) and they worked great. I used 1 lb/gallon so it only cost me about $5.50 total for a 5 gallon batch. Probably the same cost as the extract. The only thing I did was strain out the pear juice and pureed the apricots and added them to the secondary.

Good luck with this and keep us updated.

Basically I have a nut brown kit from Northerbrewer which I think would be a good starting point for the brown. With the rest of the ingredients I am trying to help thin the mix out a bit similar to our concoction of using 50% brown ale and 50% apricot ale. The reason I am choosing to use the extract is because from everything I have read, most people seem to agree that the notable apricot flavor in Pyramid Apricot Ale is from an extract. I am hoping insight from a few good brewers will help make this a reality because damn it was good.:mug:

Any ideas on yeast?

I have heard the same about the extract. There is so much room for error with the real fruit. I have a Gluten-Free Apricot Ale going that I used extract on and it's great.

If you dont mind, what ingedients did you use for your apricot ale? AS you can see, I tried to create a single recipe out of two very differnt recipies; a brown and hopefully a apricot ale. What are your opinions of the apricot ale ingredients?

Malt extract for both
6# Gold malt syrup

Apricot Ale - (to be adjusted as needed)
4oz apricot extract
.5# Belgian Pale Malt 3.2L
.5# White Wheat Malt 3.1L
1oz Nugget (15 min)
.5oz Summit (1 min)

Brown- from NorthernBrewer (to be adjusted as needed)
.25# chocolate malt
.25# Belgian special B
.25# Belgian Biscuit
.25# Briess Special Roast
1oz fuggle hops (60 min)

If you dont mind, what ingedients did you use for your apricot ale? AS you can see, I tried to create a single recipe out of two very differnt recipies; a brown and hopefully a apricot ale. What are your opinions of the apricot ale ingredients?

Malt extract for both
6# Gold malt syrup

Apricot Ale - (to be adjusted as needed)
4oz apricot extract
.5# Belgian Pale Malt 3.2L
.5# White Wheat Malt 3.1L
1oz Nugget (15 min)
.5oz Summit (1 min)

Brown- from NorthernBrewer (to be adjusted as needed)
.25# chocolate malt
.25# Belgian special B
.25# Belgian Biscuit
.25# Briess Special Roast
1oz fuggle hops (60 min)
I have the apricot ale in my recipe drop down. It's basically 2-row, munich, honey malt and c-60.

Awesome thanks. How do you think it compares to the Pyramid Apricot Ale? Apparently no one has been able to accurately reproduce the taste of the Pyramid so I tried to use the same ingredients that they claim are used in the mixture to more closely reproduce the fruity beast that we created.

I've never had Pyramid so I couldn't really compare. I know Pyramid is made with wheat but I'm not much of a wheat beer guy at all.

I gave this out to a bunch of co-workers and some of my in-laws and this beer got the highest reviews of any brews I've done. Some people thought it was a pale ale and some thought it was a wheat. The ahtanum hops were very subdued and the apricot flavor and aroma really shine in this beer.

Here is the link to the Pyramid site with basic ingredients listed

Link

Original Gravity: 11.75
Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
IBU: 11
Malts:
50% 2 Row Pale Barley, 50% Malted Wheat
Hops:
Nugget or Summit

So I have been trying to formulate a recipe that will emulate the design of the pyramid and basically add it to a brown ale style recipe. Here is what I have but I would really like to get the ABV up to around 5.6% or so. I plan on doing a late extract addition to help keep the OG up. Also, since this is basically a mutant brew of two very different beer styles, will this work out if brewed together or would it be better to make up two separate batches? Ideas/suggestions?

Thoughts
1. Yeast selection, any other opinions?
3. 4 or 8 oz of extract? Some people say that 4 oz is not enough for a solid apricot flavor.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.52 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 21.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes