Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
What do you think?
8.5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb c 60
1lb flaked oats
8oz victory malt
6oz english chocolate malt
4 Oz chocolate wheat
1oz fuggles @ 60 min
1oz fuggles @15 min
US 04 yeast
Thanks

I ran your ingredients through Brewer's Friends, and came up with the following vital statistics: OG 1058, FG 1015, ABV 5.7, IBU 25, SRM 27.

It is a little heavy for an English style brown ale (but right in the OG range for an American brown ale), and a little dark (if you care about color). You could drop a pound of the MO, and all of the chocolate wheat (or bump up the chocolate wheat to 6 oz. and drop the chocolate malt) - that would drop the OG to 1052, and the SRM to 21. I am not crazy about US Fuggles (Willamette makes a better choice, I think), but if you can get UK Fuggles, then you are in good shape.

Post your results.

Looks similar to a brown I've made. Despite the slight style discrepancies, it should still be tasty.

Definitely +1 for the UK fuggles, though.

Thanks for the replys. They are UK fuggles. I was thinking it walking the line between English brown and brown porter.

Latest posts

Back