Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGeek

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a brown ale recipe to try out in the next couple of weeks. I took a gander through the recipe database and its overflowing with recipes. Couldn't make up my mind.

Any suggestions? Anyone have just a 'blew me out of the water' experience with a particular recipe?

Looking for something (queue Austin Power's impersonation) a bit nutty, toasty and smooth. Maybe lower end of ABV so it can be a session, but that's not a dis qualifier.

I took a look at the recipe, and it was certainly a finalist among the list i made! hehe. When I'm lookin' up recipes and see that it's from certain individuals, it definitely tips the scales for me.

I'm in love with the Moose Drool recipe. I've made it many times, changing little things about it to experiment - different hops, increasing the OG, I even made an IBA once.

This was the beer that turned me on to the 1968 strain for American beers - so rich and malty.

A Brown is probably next up on my to do list. I like the "Americanized" Browns. I really like DFH IBA and Cigar City Maduro down here in Florida. I've had Moose Drool but did not like it as much as the other two. In any case I've been trying to narrow down my options but instead it keeps growing. Here are the ones I'm considering.

Yooper's previously mentioned Fat Squirrel, never had the real thing.
Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown
The Surly Bender clone from NB. I would like to see what all the fuss is about never had it.
DFH IBA clone. One of my favorites.
Cigar City Maduro, haven't found a recipe yet so I'd be on my own.
This new AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale from AHS

No help making up your mind but maybe I've given a few more choices.

if you want nutty, toasty, and smooth as opposed to the hopped up versions many people are talking about here, i would do a search for these 3 clone beers

Surly Bender
Moose Drool
Fat Squirrel

maybe if you look at those 3 recipes either you will find one you like, or maybe formulate up one of your own based on the similarities you see with them

Back