Brown Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewluver

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of Brown Ale from a Kit i bought at my LHBS (ebrew.com). This was my second kit ever made. The first kit i made was from Midwest and it was a Red Ale 20 minute boil kit. It turned out great.

Back to the question at hand. I bottled my brown ale last night and ended up with a half bottle so i just stuck it in the fridge for a little bit and drank it after the clean up. It was very clear compared to my first beer. But did not have a very strong flavor still kind of sweet. I followed the instructions exactly and hit my SG and FG dead on. I bulk primed. I boiled 2.5 to 3 gallons during the boil but never really got a hot break like it did the first time i made beer. It was a rolling boil but not very strong. This kit was supposed to come out like a NewCastle

All though i can't remember all the ingredients of the kit it had the following.

1 pound specialty grains
5 to 6 pounds of DME
1 ounce bittering hops
1/2 ounce aroma hops

1. Will the flavor of the beer improve during carbination?

2. What would cause the watered down flavor?

3. Did not having a hot break mess this batch up?

Any suggestions on why this came out watered down please let me know.

I'm drinking a newcastle clone now. At first I thought it had some off flavors and was a little watery. But it's aging nicely and the bad flavors are gone and the good flavors are coming out. Let your beer age some and it should be fine.

A good beer takes time!!!!

Will the flavor improve - YES
Watered down flavor - how big of a batch?
Not having a hot break - i'm a noob but that shouldn't mess up the beer.

In short, you need to let this carbonate and condition for 3 weeks in the bottle. It will be carbonated partially in 1 week, but still watery. In 2 weeks it will be very good and well carbonated. But by 3 weeks your beer will develop more body, be perfectly carbonated and much of the yeast will have dropped out, producing a very nice clear beer. Give it time, and it will be great!

For the first few batches, I sampled a bottle every 2-3 days...just to see what change had been made, and how long carbonation actually would take. I recommend you do the same, just don't get tempted to drink a LOT of it. It's a sad thing to crack open your last beer at 4 weeks old and realize it's just STARTING to be fantastic. Give it 3 weeks before you start drinking it regularly, and make sure you set aside a 6 or 12 pack for 2 months down the road. Seriously, if your beer tastes "OK" right now it is going to be great in 3 weeks, and incredible in two months.

With age it should get more of a beer flavor, less water flavor!

Did you bottle with priming sugar?

Time my friend. Try one Thurs., or Fri., and it it should be better, less water, then wait 1 week and you will see a significant difference.

Thanks for everyone's quick responses, i hope i am just getting worried for nothing. I just really want this beer to turn out good.

Yes, I don't even think about analysing my beer until 3 weeks in the bottle, even though I usually drink one or two before then. Depending on the style, I might even go 2 months before drinking it (well, I usually drink one a week, just to see how it progresses, but that doesn't count).

Latest posts

Back