Broken thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD-BREW

Reaction score
So I was brewing while enjoying ranger IPA or 10 and I was done with my 90 boil, I was adding hops to sit for 15min before i started the chill, I went to check the temp and put the kettle in a ice bath. Well my thermometer broke! I got everything out and even used 2 strainers while putting in fermenter. Should I throw it out or will it be fine?

Mmmm...Ranger IPA. Good stuff.

Did you have the thermometer in the kettle the entire time? I only keep the thermometer in the kettle during steeping. Otherwise, I never have it in the kettle until I'm doing my ice bath (and I don't leave it in the kettle, I just check the temp and then set it aside).

If it was one of the mercury ones, I'd probably toss the batch, sad to say. Mercury is poisonous (obviously). Haven't had experience with this myself, but that's what I'd do. As far as glass goes, if you strained really well you might be okay. Put the pieces together that you recovered and see if there are any shards missing or if it was a clean break. Either way, I'd probably toss the batch.

Sorry that happened, man. :/

You concerned about the glass or the red fluid? Or both? Fairly sure that the fluid is just alcohol so probably not a big deal. The glass on the other hand is concerning. However, it will sink to the bottom of the fermentor and if careful when racking you would probably not suck any back up. Tough call...good luck.

If it was one of the mercury ones, I'd probably toss the batch, sad to say. Mercury is poisonous (obviously)./

I would say mercury thermometers outside of labs and old school home medicine cabinets are fairly rare.

But, in the off case a mercury thermometer breaks in your beer, don't just wash it down the drain. Suck it up (not the beer), and have it disposed of properly as mercury waste. Yes it will cost, but you won't be putting more mercury into the environment.

If I had broken glass in my beer it would be an instant pour. No further debate no analyzing and thinking "I got it all out"

I love beer, and hate wasting my time and money, but I couldn't enjoy drinking something that that might have a shard of glass in it. I also wouldn't ever feel comfortable sharing it with any friends.

yup, a single flake of glass is what caused me to get rid of all of my carboys. I wouldn't drink it.

It wasn't mercury, and the glass was a clean split no flakes. I was worried about the lead. But those round pallets should have sank and got caught in the strainer.
I put the thermometer in the kettle for the cool down to ensure it was at the right temp.

Latest posts

Back