Broken Thermometer in mash WTF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frod1963

Reaction score
Woke up early today to do a quick stove top BIAB 3 gallon oatmeal stout and while stirring the mash broke my lab thermometer in the mash spilling the red dye in. This is what I get for not trusting my brewmometer! finished the mash and began to boil then chilled a sample and decided to dump it after an obvious off flavor. Now I've got a 3rd generation Kolsch yeast on the stir plate and might have to do something else with it Monday. Just thought I would vent about thermometers, I'm ordering a thermapen or something tonight.

Bummer dude, that's the worst. You will love the Thermapen. Do you ever cook meat? You will love it even more.

Woke up early today to do a quick stove top BIAB 3 gallon oatmeal stout and while stirring the mash broke my lab thermometer in the mash spilling the red dye in. This is what I get for not trusting my brewmometer! finished the mash and began to boil then chilled a sample and decided to dump it after an obvious off flavor. Now I've got a 3rd generation Kolsch yeast on the stir plate and might have to do something else with it Monday. Just thought I would vent about thermometers, I'm ordering a thermapen or something tonight.

The red dye in the thermometer was alcohol which would've boiled off, so I doubt that's where the off flavor came from.

Latest posts

Back