Broken Hydrometer - Can I test the carbed beer later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer last night as I was cleaning my bottling bucket so I didn't get a FG on my beer. With no way to replace it I had to get my bottling done. If I want a FG, is testing a carbed beer 3 weeks from now going to give me a good result?

At least I won't have to sanitize for a beer I'm about to drink!

I broke my hydrometer last night as I was cleaning my bottling bucket so I didn't get a FG on my beer. With no way to replace it I had to get my bottling done. If I want a FG, is testing a carbed beer 3 weeks from now going to give me a good result?

At least I won't have to sanitize for a beer I'm about to drink!

You can do that, but it's not easy with the carbonation. You can pour the beer, and allow it to go a bit flat. Then, spin the hydrometer so that it's not being held up by any bubbles.

But ain't the hole point of taking a fg reading, to make sure that the beer is ready to bottle. Cause if you don't take the reading, you would not know if it is done fermenting. Then you rerouse the yeast when you rack, and then get bottle bombs. Get on me if I am wrong in thinking this. And +1 on what yooper says, about checking gravity after it goes flat.

How long was it fermenting? If it was only two weeks, you'd probably be more liable to have a bottle bomb than if you had waited 4 weeks. I agree with MattMann that the hydrometer is how to tell if it's ready to bottle. And of course YooperBrew is spot-on about how to test.

It was in Primary then Secondary for a total of 4.5 weeks. I'm sure it was done but thanks for the concern. I hate to let one go flat but I guess if I want to know I'll have to do it :).

If it's no good and therefore I won't care if I waste one but if so, I won't care what the ABV will be!

It was in Primary then Secondary for a total of 4.5 weeks. I'm sure it was done but thanks for the concern. I hate to let one go flat but I guess if I want to know I'll have to do it :).

If it's no good and therefore I won't care if I waste one but if so, I won't care what the ABV will be!

Well, you won't have to let the whole beer go flat- just the few ounces in the hydrometer test jar! Then, pour it back into your glass with the "good beer" so you don't waste a drop!

Back