Broken Glass Carboy Horror Stories Compendium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has me giving the carboy that came with my brew kit (xmas present this year from my s/o) a questioning glance. Currently fermenting 5 gallons in there but I'm wondering if I'll move to brew buckets after this.

Has anyone tried using a clear ductape wrap or something as a means to contain the glass should the carboy break. Might work so long as I don't break the carboy while wrapping it.

-- Nathan

I've done something similar. I put mine in the recycle bin and took it to the curb. I feel very secure knowing that I will probably never get cut by it when it breaks.

Wife super pissed about wood floor damage. Me cowering like a kitten for my actions...

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1445031292-403600-jpg.309858

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445031292.403600.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 657
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if there's a correlation between men who ferment in plastic and men who sit to pee?

Not that there's anything wrong with either. :cross:

ibrewr,
depends on the status of your prostate, some times it's swollen and takes time, better sitting than standing around for five minutes. As for plastic, I switched and love it,just happened to using one for my latest ale.

REgard's

A00_8837.jpg

I just survived a horror and wish to share this experience with all of you. Learn from it, if you can.

A couple days after brewing, I noticed a small crack at the bottom of one of my carboys. I was concerned but not alarmed. I came home, today, and looked at it for the first time in a few days and noticed that my beer level dropped, as you can see where the krausen dried. I checked the crack with my finger and it felt damp. Now I was alarmed. The crack was bigger.

So after reading the horror stories and knowing it would never happen to me, yesterday I managed to drop a carboy with about 4.5 gallons of what I think was really good wort. I got a late start and while I missed my target mash temp by two degrees (so the brown would have been a little drier, no big deal), I think this smoky brown ale would have been a winner. I decided to carry the carboy from the back yard to the side door rather then take the shorter walk through the house. If only I had dropped it outside rather than two feet from the fermentation chamber in the laundry room. I only have one small cut on my finger and phase 1 of the cleanup effort is complete. When I get home from work phase II begins when I pull out the washer and dryer to mop under them. Not sure how the drop happened...it happened so fast! Oh yeah, I have one of the nylon lifting harnesses (it was tucked away in a storage bin at the time).

Click picture for the original thread...

Hmm this is amusing and sad.

Glassware is delicate.. on a side note I teach a general chemistry lab and the first thing the students do is check into their drawers. Meaning pulling out glassware inspecting it and putting it back. First lab I ever was responsible for freshman this girl literally crushes a test tube in her hand. Not ****ting you. So I take her off to the stock room her hand gushing and the moral is be careful.

I think I just moved from Glass Wine fermenting and storage to Pet!

Well, a lot of folks here swear by fermenting in PET, but long-term storage/aging in glass. A good idea a lot of folks have done here is to use a plastic crate to carry your glass in, so it is less likely to break. And if you're using it for long-term storage/aging, you're less likely to be moving it around a lot. :)

Hmm this is amusing and sad.

Glassware is delicate.. on a side note I teach a general chemistry lab and the first thing the students do is check into their drawers. Meaning pulling out glassware inspecting it and putting it back. First lab I ever was responsible for freshman this girl literally crushes a test tube in her hand. Not ****ting you. So I take her off to the stock room her hand gushing and the moral is be careful.

Is this the girl????

SheHulk.png

Well, a lot of folks here swear by fermenting in PET, but long-term storage/aging in glass. A good idea a lot of folks have done here is to use a plastic crate to carry your glass in, so it is less likely to break. And if you're using it for long-term storage/aging, you're less likely to be moving it around a lot. :)

Right, I would think a glass carboy in a crate would be pretty safe to handle. Seems like an ideal setup.

[edit] well, I guess there's the cleaning part

Impressive amount of destruction. I think there are some good best-practices from this thread that could be summarized in the OP. A solid carrying device like a milk crate is absolutely on the top of my list. Second is a carboy cover.

Yah I know where your coming from but I just cant get past this image burned in my brain.
Our wine is not something that's going to win an award anyway so I think I'm selling the glass. We use the web type carrier's but there are enough food for thought images on this thread for me to pull the trigger and just remove the risk completely from our process before we add one of our own for all your viewing enjoyment.

Carry on.

AA03spe.jpg

Just crated up my fermenter last night.

It makes sense that these things fail though. Unknown quality of manufacture, unqualified suitability for purpose, improper handling, insufficient inspection intervals. It all adds up to accidents eventually.

I have been using glass carboys since I started brewing about 3 years ago. THey have always worked great other than they can be more difficult to clean then same other types of fermentations. I have been wanting to upgrade to a SS conical for some time but the cost has held me back. What can I say I am cheep, that's why I started brewing. I thought I would save money. (Ask me how that worked out):D

This all changed about a month ago I was cleaning my carboy and it was slick from the soap. It slipped out of my hand. It only dropped a few inches but unfortunately I have granite counter tops.

The good news is I didn't loose any beer however it did lead to a trip to the ER and 13 stitches to my hand. It was not painful at the time but a month later it is quite painful if I put any pressure on my hand and they say I may have nerve damage.

Until last month I thought glass carboys were great and still agree you can make great beer in them. I did not upgrade to Stainless steel because I was cheap.

I have now spent much more on medical bills than a top of the line SS conical would cost and I am currently using a POS plastic bucket to make my beer in.

Glass carboys are great until they are not. If you choose to use them you will break one at some point. Wear gloves shoes and long pants so when you do break one the only damage will be to the carboy.

Be safe

Last edited:
Use what you are comfortable using. If you aren't interested in minding the health of the carboys or controlling the conditions the carboys are used in, then PET is the way to go.

I've been drinking out of glass, plastic and metal for many years. My wife will argue with me that aluminum is the way to go, at least for Coke, but I've always preferred glass, with plastic an unfortunate delivery system at the bottom of the list. Figures since I'd rather not go with plastic to drink out of, why would I want my beer to ferment or condition in a plastic container?

I have been brewing off and on since 1993 using only glass and have only had one broken here. It wasn't me who broke it, a friend dropped it. Awareness of your surroundings and average caution are all that is needed to maintain a safe environment. 1 seven gallon, 2 six and a halves, 2 fives, about 20 one gallon jugs and a boat load of common sense.

Back