Broken Glass Carboy Horror Stories Compendium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment in a half barrel ss keg or plastic bucket. I have six glass carboys. Each one has its own crate for handling/storage and have been phased out of my primary pipeline. I use them for wines, sours, bulk aging, etc. Although I do plan on using cornies for aging once I purchase more. I take precautions with my glass. Two of my vessels have been in service for a decade now. I don't fear them, I just find other options more convenient.

I switched from carboys a year or so ago, now ferment in corny kegs. I don't think it's worth the risk to keep using carboys when they can break so easily, as is obvious throughout this thread...

Post up some pics, Por Favor, of your fermenters, or some links to your designs, iffn' you would be so kind.

I have several pin locks available that I could modify, as I use ball locks for dispensing / storage/ aging.

Thanks!

Why would someone switch because there have been injuries involving glass carboys?

That's like asking a motorcycle rider to switch to a car because it's "safer." Right?

I have two glass carboys and an Ale Pail. The ale pail is my bottling bucket... I ferment in glass because I like to see what's going on and that's what I have.

I'm not going to switch because of these pictures, or because someone else injured themselves with it.

More often than not, it seems like the story starts out with "I hit it on the concrete" or "I dropped it and..." and etc. etc.

My thought is, if I don't drop it or bang it around (standard procedure for keeping glass in one piece, really) then I'll be fine.

I don't know. It all seems so simple, but it looks like the concept is not grasped by all.

(Yes, I see the pics of the exploded carboy which had nothing to do with the handling, but that's entirely different if you ask me.)

Why would someone switch because there have been injuries involving glass carboys?

Because there appears to be a fairly large amount of injuries and many of them are serious that cause permanent damage to tendons and nerves that often result in some form of permanent lasting damage or diminished usage.

That's like asking a motorcycle rider to switch to a car because it's "safer." Right?

No not really. Everyone knows there's an increased risk of one option over the other. Motorcycle riders mostly do so for pleasure, freedom, or convenience. A motorcycle will not help you transport your 60" big screen TV home nor will it keep you warm during your commute during the harsh winter cold. Motorcycles on the other hand have their own set of benefits not offered by riding in a car. A carboy is a fermentation vessel just as a plastic vessel is. You achieve the same end result with either. If you want to watch fermentation you can get clear plastic vessels. In the end both with give you the option to watch the beer ferment and they will both provide equal quality beers.

I ferment in glass because I like to see what's going on

Again, there are several makers of clear plastic fermenters.

I'm not going to switch because of these pictures, or because someone else injured themselves with it.

You don't have to.

More often than not, it seems like the story starts out with "I hit it on the concrete" or "I dropped it and..." and etc. etc.

Lately I seem to be seeing more of the opposite. Sudden explosions just sitting there siphoning sanitizer, the "I just lifted it with the carboy hardness and it broke into several pieces", etc. If you don't bang it and it does just explode or fall apart in your arms slicing open your arm and severing several tendons then what?

My thought is, if I don't drop it or bang it around (standard procedure for keeping glass in one piece, really) then I'll be fine.

Already proven over and over again that simply is not the case.

I don't know. It all seems so simple, but it looks like the concept is not grasped by all.

Concept? How do you explain this concept to someone who's carboy exploded when they weren't mishandling it or even touching it?

I find it hard to see why anyone would have such a defensive response unless one is making a living selling glass fermentation vessels. I mean how does it affect you if people switch? If you want to keep using glass then that's great. I truly hope you never experience such injury from using them, and perhaps you never will and thousands of others probably have never been injured. But this one thread has many reports and stories in it, and I'm sure there are many other posts/threads that aren't included in this one. Seems there are enough reports for there to be some form of concern to those that might care.

Rev.

First, thanks so much to you guys for sharing these stories and pics! I don't get the least bit queasy looking at such things, but I obviously don't ever want this happening to me and have my fair share, and oh do I have some doozies, of glass related inquiries though not brewing related. I started with plastic fermenters luckily...

... but my question is... how many have switched to plastic/steel as a result of injury and for those that haven't why not? I use the original Coopers plastic fermenters and love them though they were pricey since I had to buy full kits just to get the fermenters, but I found it worth it. I love the big wide open mouth for cleaning, the built in spigot which makes bottling and kegging very easy, etc. So I've always wondered why others stick with narrow mouth glass carboys and other glass vessels that have shown to have an inherent safety risk. I've also never had any plastic off tastes of any kind with my fermenters. Now, this isn't meant to start debate!!! Not at all, I'm merely curious to know who's switched as a result of injury and for those that haven't switched why not? That's all, honest!

Rev.

[snip]
I find it hard to see why anyone would have such a defensive response unless one is making a living selling glass fermentation vessels. I mean how does it affect you if people switch? If you want to keep using glass then that's great. I truly hope you never experience such injury from using them, and perhaps you never will and thousands of others probably have never been injured. But this one thread has many reports and stories in it, and I'm sure there are many other posts/threads that aren't included in this one. Seems there are enough reports for there to be some form of concern to those that might care.

Rev.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with Rev.

To use the motorcycle analogy does not work. You cannot replace the motorcycle with anything else, but you CAN replace the glass carboy with several different options.

Just because you have not broken a carboy and are careful does not mean it will not happen. It seems more likely that it a WHEN, not IF proposition.

There have been a few that posted "I am careful with my glass carboys" Who later posted "I an switching to plastic" when they did shatter one.

Quote: I'm not going to switch because of these pictures, or because someone else injured themselves with it.

Let's see if you post the same after a trip to the ER!

I agree with Rev.

To use the motorcycle analogy does not work. You cannot replace the motorcycle with anything else, but you CAN replace the glass carboy with several different options.

Just because you have not broken a carboy and are careful does not mean it will not happen. It seems more likely that it a WHEN, not IF proposition.

There have been a few that posted "I am careful with my glass carboys" Who later posted "I an switching to plastic" when they did shatter one.

Quote: I'm not going to switch because of these pictures, or because someone else injured themselves with it.

Let's see if you post the same after a trip to the ER!

Works fine brother.

It's a mode of transport. There are other modes of transport.

Others are "safer."

Don't put the blinders on because you don't agree with me... just read and move on.

FWIW, my post was not meant to be defensive. Rev specifically asked if anyone had switched due to these stories and pictures, I offered my opinion as to why I have/will not. I think I actually nailed that part spot-on, eh?

I'll find my way out.

Any of you ready to dispose of your intact glass carboys, if you live in the Puget Sound region, PM me and I will pick them up and dispose of them for you. 19 years, one broken carboy (found a crack, no idea when it happened). I own 9 of them.

Post up some pics, Por Favor, of your fermenters, or some links to your designs, iffn' you would be so kind.

I have several pin locks available that I could modify, as I use ball locks for dispensing / storage/ aging.

Thanks!

It's really simple. I don't have any pictures of the inside, but I bent the diptube so there's about 1/3 gallon deadspace. I cut a couple diptubes and regretted it, all you need to do is bend them...they'll bend back if you need them to. This way, I don't get much, if any, yeast sediment when I transfer. It leaves a little beer behind, but not too much. I ferment 3.5 to 4 gallons in a keg. I'll do 7 gallon batches and split between the two, or 4 gallon batches in one. Right now there's 7 gallons of BCS taddy porter in the two.

I have the blowoff assemblies disconnected because both fermenters are pressurized and will get kegged tomorrow. But you can see one of them there.

20150102_170113_LLS.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Nice try but no. I addressed your post because it was false on so many levels. You basically came in blaming any and all injuries purely on user error and making silly analogies about safety. My post that you quoted said my "question" is not meant to spark debate and you alsoddidn't quote my question in your reply. I never said I wouldn't debate ridiculous responses.

That said one aspect you're missing is a lack of quality construction in many of today's carboys, many of which are made in China. People in this thread have already mentioned their Italian made carboys being of excellent construction and being far superior to newer ones they've purchased. It's not all "Carboys are bad" across the board.

Rev.

There are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have been down and those who are going down. I feel the same way about glass carboys. I've had 3 break in the three years I've been brewing. Only had to repair myself with bandages and felt lucky each time. Not worth the risk and I really don't need to watch the kreusen anymore.

Nice try but no. I addressed your post because it was false on so many levels. You basically came in blaming any and all injuries purely on user error and making silly analogies about safety. My post that you quoted said my "question" is not meant to spark debate and you alsoddidn't quote my question in your reply. I never said I wouldn't debate ridiculous responses.

That said one aspect you're missing is a lack of quality construction in many of today's carboys, many of which are made in China. People in this thread have already mentioned their Italian made carboys being of excellent construction and being far superior to newer ones they've purchased. It's not all "Carboys are bad" across the board.

Rev.

Man you seem really adamant about starting a debate on this topic when you also mentioned that wasn't your intent.

My silly analogy was perfect really... simple, yes, but to pick it apart and over analyze it because you don't agree is somewhat more silly.

My style of writing is kind of a 'stream of consciousness' type and I'm thinking as I type. These are my thoughts... I didn't say that people don't get it right out... but it still puzzles me to an extent. I haven't experienced it... it doesn't affect me one way or the other at this point.

Just... you know, ignore it or something? Live and let live?

Man you seem really adamant about starting a debate on this topic when you also mentioned that wasn't your intent.

I'm not debating and I'm not trying to convert anyone, I merely was correcting what I considered to be flawed points in your post. There's more than enough proof that some break without user error. But fair enough I'm done.

Rev.

My silly analogy was perfect really... simple, yes, but to pick it apart and over analyze it because you don't agree is somewhat more silly.

My style of writing is kind of a 'stream of consciousness' type and I'm thinking as I type. These are my thoughts... I didn't say that people don't get it right out... but it still puzzles me to an extent. I haven't experienced it... it doesn't affect me one way or the other at this point.

Just... you know, ignore it or something? Live and let live?

You're equally guilty. I think you've both said your pieces here.

This thread is meant to alert brewers to the danger of glass carboys, not to eliminate them from the planet. If you're really careful, you probably won't have any issue with them. If you (gasp) drink beer while brewing though, then maybe glass is a bad idea. If you're prone to clumsiness (me), then avoid glass. If you brew on a concrete surface (me), might also be a bad option.

I agree with passedpawn, this thread is only to serve as a warning, not to tell people that all glass is bad. When I read this post for the first time I switched out using a brewhauler to using a strong attic half milk crate. I figured that it would be easier to carry plus if the glass shattered, I'm theory, the milk crate should contain all of the large sharp pieces that can cause a lot of limb damage.

I still like glass carboys. I have chosen to assume the risks for what I feel are the benefits of using them. That said, this discussion has been very worthwhile, in that it alerts me to the dangers I must consider. Just like reading about (or witnessing) a bad car wreck makes me a little more cautious behind the wheel, seeing pictures of stitched up wounds makes me give a little more respect to those big glass bottles.

It has also convinced me to make a few changes: no more carrying carboys without either a Brewhauler or milk crate, never using those clamp-on neck handles, and never setting carboys directly on concrete surfaces.

If you brew on a concrete surface (me), might also be a bad option.

If you're on concrete and using glass, a plastic crate is pretty much mandatory. I'm gonna be lagering some beers in the garage this winter, and you can bet the carboys will be in plastic crates.

Lessons learned to a new brewer. I won't stop using glass. But the safety gear will be upgraded. Gloves, long pants and shoes rule the day. Not that they didn't before but it's a good reminder. At work we stress PPE (personal protective equipment) so much that at home I tend to under stress it. The more experienced I get the more I realize that is a stupid sentiment. There are some comfortable gloves our there these days that could have prevented at least some of those injuries.

I'm curious if anybody has experience with 5 gal glass carboys with the letters "ACES" and "GPD" embossed on the bottom? I can't really find any information about them myself. Curious where they're made etc. It was given to me by my grandpa when he got it from his brewer friend who passed away so no clue where or when it was bought.

If this brand is a spontaneous exploder I'll probably sell it or something. I always put it in a plastic tub before filling it so I pick up the tub when it's full and don't touch any glass. But I've noticed most peoples break during cleaning or sanitizing.

I'm curious if anybody has experience with 5 gal glass carboys with the letters "ACES" and "GPD" embossed on the bottom? I can't really find any information about them myself. Curious where they're made etc. It was given to me by my grandpa when he got it from his brewer friend who passed away so no clue where or when it was bought.

If this brand is a spontaneous exploder I'll probably sell it or something. I always put it in a plastic tub before filling it so I pick up the tub when it's full and don't touch any glass. But I've noticed most peoples break during cleaning or sanitizing.
You have an old water bottle; the type that used to be delivered to homes and offices for water coolers. It should be about as safe as anything made of glass can be... they were made heavy to take abuse, and if yours was going to do anything spontaneously it would've done it years ago. Of course, it doesn't hurt to treat it with respect anyway.

I use the same sort of old water jugs myself for carboys, but mine are from Arrowhead/Puritas, a company here in Southern Callifornia.

add: My Arrowhead jugs have the year they were made on the bottom. It might be worth turning yours over to see if it has a year on it...

It's really simple. I don't have any pictures of the inside, but I bent the diptube so there's about 1/3 gallon deadspace. I cut a couple diptubes and regretted it, all you need to do is bend them...they'll bend back if you need them to. This way, I don't get much, if any, yeast sediment when I transfer. It leaves a little beer behind, but not too much. I ferment 3.5 to 4 gallons in a keg. I'll do 7 gallon batches and split between the two, or 4 gallon batches in one. Right now there's 7 gallons of BCS taddy porter in the two.

I have the blowoff assemblies disconnected because both fermenters are pressurized and will get kegged tomorrow. But you can see one of them there.

Excellent, and thank you, Sir!

I'm guessin, that you have the guts out of the gas in nipples, ( poppits), for the blow off tubes, so the Krausen won't foul them?

thanks Troy. I try to respect large glass objects for sure!

it also has e number 75 with four dots around it? so maybe it was made in 1975.

Excellent, and thank you, Sir!

I'm guessin, that you have the guts out of the gas in nipples, ( poppits), for the blow off tubes, so the Krausen won't foul them?

No, it's all in there. I don't usually get much, if any, blow off. But I have before and it wants to clog but it never has completely. You're fine with the parts all in there.

Click on the picture to go to the full story.

I picked it up to move the sanitizer around to get everything covered. As i flipped it over, and went to pour it out, i watched as if it was in slow motion the glass spider and it shatter in my hands. I immediately had a nice chunk taken out of my right wrist and blood was gushing out (i took one look at my wrist and that was all i needed to see inside me and knew it was bad). I yelled and thank god my fiance was home at the time as i did not have my cellphone on me (or i can honestly say i probably would not be here writing this).

I had a scare last night and I guess it's not totally over. I transferred a sour ale for long term aging. I set the carboy on carpet and used the neck to tip it slightly and wipe the bottom. There was a sound and I thought, there should be no noise this is on carpet. It was the unmistakable sound of glass on glass. Sure enough there was a crack at the base. I don't know if it happend earlier and I made it worse or if tipping it like that on carpet caused the crack.

I took a flat but heavy sheetpan and slid it under halfway. Being on carpet helped here. Then I gently slid the carboy the rest of the way over the sheetpan and snapped a pic. I found an empty storage bin in the garage, donned my winter coat and leather gloves, and gently lifted the sheet pan, lowered it into the bin, and snapped another pic.

That's how it sits now. If it breaks, I hope it's contained in the bin. I plan on getting a new carboy at the LHBS today and transfer again tonight. Hopefully the beer comes out ok with the increased oxygen exposure.

Very thankful that no blood lost. Some of the stories in this thread are really bad.

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.jpg

Make up a mix of 1/2 lb DME and 2 qts of boiled/cooled water. Aerate and pour in the new carboy, rack your beer on too and let it ferment out.. The yeast will scavenge any oxygen you have in the solution/carboy.. Or rack it to the new carboy and blanket it with CO2 if you keg and have a tank available

As a side note, I was about to move a carboy a few days ago and, as I usually do, I took a quick look over my BrewHauler jus to make sure its in good shape. I noticed that one of the handle straps was almost severed!! It had been subject to heat (fell on my burner?), I have no idea how, but was almost ready to break. I threw it in the trash and bought another one before I moved anything!!

Inspect your BrewHaulers!!

OK, what is the attraction with glass carboys again?

1. its clear so light can get in and ruin your beer
2. its very heavy, so it is more difficult to handle
3. its brittle, so you cannot set it down on anything hard (e.g. sink, counter, cement or tile floor
4. it's hard to clean due to the narrow neck
5. you can buy handles to put on the neck,but it's unsafe to use that handle when it is full and the heaviest (e.g. when you need a handle)
6. when it breaks, its pieces are razor sharp and slice through skin, muscle and other tissue
7. its slippery when wet such as when you wash it or spill wort on it while filling it (* using sanitizer like Starsan makes it even more slippery)
8. It makes a nice sound when it breaks!!!!

Those are just a few of reasons to use them.

Check!
Check!
3. its brittle, so you cannot set it down on anything hard (e.g. sink, counter, cement or tile floor
Check!
Check!
5. you can buy handles to put on the neck,but it's unsafe to use that handle when it is full and the heaviest (e.g. when you need a handle)
Check!
6. when it breaks, its pieces are razor sharp and slice through skin, muscle and other tissue
Check!
7. its slippery when wet such as when you wash it or spill wort on it while filling it (* using sanitizer like Starsan makes it even more slippery)
Check!
Check!

Off I go then to buy some glass carboys! :drunk:

9. The neck is the perfect diameter to allow mice to climb in, but not out. Extra fun to clean said dead mouse :ban:

And I know this because I actually occasionally use (gulp) these dangerous vessels of terror.

OK, what is the attraction with glass carboys again?

When you and your drunk buddies decide to to find a spot for the masses of wine corks you also happen to have (<all hobbies revolve around alcohol>)...you find wine corks conveniently fit through the neck of a carboy, but upon sobering up you realize you will never get them out without breaking the carboy...rendering it a useless cork holder.

Yes I have also broken one...yes I too have bled for my hobby but, sorry no pics it was back in the late 90's and smart phones were not around to capture the moment..:tank:

This thread has me giving the carboy that came with my brew kit (xmas present this year from my s/o) a questioning glance. Currently fermenting 5 gallons in there but I'm wondering if I'll move to brew buckets after this.

Has anyone tried using a clear ductape wrap or something as a means to contain the glass should the carboy break. Might work so long as I don't break the carboy while wrapping it.

-- Nathan

Latest posts

Back