broke my flask, need to make starter. help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatsus02

Reaction score
while unloading my dish strainer, i tried to save my hydrometer from being knocked over, only to hit my starter flask sending it to dumpster heaven. I have an all grain caribou slobber to brew and would like to make a starter. is there a way to use a quart jar or some other vessel without the risk of complete failure?:eek:

Yes, easily. A quart jar, a growler, anything that can be sanitized will work. Just shake it now and again. Should be fine.

You can use anything, glass or plastic to make starters in. Jars, milk jugs, beer glasses, nalgene bottles, I've seen folks use everything and more. If it can hold water, you can make a starter in.

starter.jpg

finishstart.jpg

starter.jpg

10-yeast-starter.jpg

starter7.JPG

I've used a large spaghetti sauce jar before...It worked great on my stirplate when I didn't want to use my large flask for a small amount of harvesting yeast. You can use growler or a glass juice jar, even beer bottles.

And nowadays most of us aren't using airlocks, just sanitized tin foil instead.

I actually tested a couple of jars that I got from BB&B on my stirplate and they worked. I was able to create a vortex with the correct size bar in them.

If you're not using a stirplate, then pretty much anything that's glass, and you can cover (sanitized tin foil works well) can be used to make a starter. This gives you time to get a replacement flask, if you decide to.

I make my starters in a smaller SS pot. I boil the wort, cool it, and pitch. Cover with glass top.

thanks for the info i never would have even ever tried many of these things, maybe i will just save my money and use my recyclables for starters.lol

Back