British Mild.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if Mild is out of danger yet. I can still get it in maybe 30% of pubs. It used to be available in a 100% when I started drinking.

I had the opportunity of trying Tetley's Mild fro keg and cask in the same pub.

Can you guess the cask from the keg?
Pity I didn't have a HB to put next to it.

There is no doubt as to which was the better pint. The Cask was served warmer. Had a full body, better mouth feel, a "proper" head and a full, more rounded flavour.

casks on the left...

i've been researching these milds, and really like the historical info i've found. in the book brad's mentioned and orfy's links.

i've been brewing nothing but milds this summer, and they've been a hit, more so with the non-hombrew drinking bmc crowd.

Cask is on the right.

The one on the left is served from a keg under pressure with CO2 hence the smaller bubbles and creamier head. It's served colder and has less flavour.

The one on the right is served by hand pump with natural carbonation only. It is a much better pint (well half in this picture)

I'm new to brewing. My second batch was Papazian's "Cheeks to the Wind Mild" from TCJOHB. It's a simple recipe, below, but man was it good. Everyone who tried it liked it. Most people ended up having several. I'm almost out. I liked the idea of doing this one because of the basic ingredients. I figure it is something I can add on to and improve while learning how the different grains effect the taste. The next time I make it I am going to add one more ingredient. Any suggestions on what grains to add to it would be appreciated.

6lbs LME
1/2 lb black patent malt
1 oz Fuggles hops
English-type ale yeast.

What do ya know, I was sitting here drinking a pint of my own Sloppy Drunk Mild and i see a mild thread started by Orfy. Well I think I had actually looked through this thread before... but who knows. I'm posting the recipe below, but here's what I have to say about my version. It's a low abv, about 3.3% abv. My recipe features a whole 1.25#'s of crystal malts. When I get around to remaking this I'll probably split the difference in the lovibond of the caramel and go with 80 or 90 Caramel and reduce the volume by 1/3rd. Also I think it would benefit from being about .5% higher in abv as it seems to be a slight bit off some how and this would seem to help make it feel more full/rounded. I think a high mash temp is very important to this style to help with body, roundness of flavor, and overall mouthfeel issues.

Having said all that, my mild is an excellent quaffer that really taste wonderful with the dark caramel and roasted malts showing through especially as it warms with just a hint of hop flavor adding an earthy balance.

Now for the recipe. *The recipe is simple enough. It's Jamil's recipe with 1/2 lb carapils added.
Fermentables:
5# Marris Otter (Any British Pale Malt will do)
.75# Crystal 60
.5# Crystal 120
.375# British Chocolate Malt
.5# CaraPils
Hops:
.75 oz. Kent Goldings - 60 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 20 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 0 Mins.
Your IBU target is 17-20. Also if you want to keep it in style eleminate both late boil additions.
Yeast: Safale S-04 (pitched on approx 1 qt of yeast cake from Irish Red Ale)

Mash @ 158 degrees
Brewhouse Eff. 71%
O.G. 1.036
target F.G. 1.012

Just adding my .02!

Everone else, how are your recipes? Tasting notes? What would you do to improve them?

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps I just had a SA Octoberfest, and a Mild with dinner. Followed that up with a 3.4% abv breakfast stout. Don't feel a thing, could easily drive or pass a field sobriety test.... just in case SWMBO gives me one!!!! :) Gotta love those tasty low abv homebrews, give ya flavor and keep ya going!

I just brewed up a Black Cat Real Lancashire clone and having never tasted a MILD I can not wait for it to finish.

3.5lb Extra Pale Extract

1.5lb Pale ale
10oz Chocolate Malt
6oz Crystal 60L
0.50oz Peated Malt

3/4oz Fuggle 60 min
1/4oz Fuggle 15 min

English Ale 002

Not to resurrect an old thread but I just brewed this 3 weeks ago and am drinking it now, never had a mild before but this is very tasy. Light but has lots of flavor.
LB OZ
76% 5 0 American Two-row Pale info 37 1
10% 0 11 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L info 34 60
8% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L info 33 120
6% 0 6 Chocolate Malt (US) info 28 35

.75 EKG at 60 and .23 at flame out
Ferment with WL 002

A few Utah breweries have Milds available here. With the 4% at the markets law here it works with what they can sell. The two I can get are marketed as Amber ales. They both have more of a crystal presence than chocolate malt and both use EKG.

Nice thread.

I love mild ale. And Scottish low gravity dark ales. They go down easy and are definitely the beer to have when you're having more than one. Or while you're brewing and obsessing over sanitation and hop additions.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread is the need for low carbonation.

Using Palmer's book's nomograph, and knowing the temperature and volume of beer I'm priming, I aim for 1.5-1.75 volumes of CO2 in my milds (most beers' recipes are primed for 2.5+ volumes CO2). Nice and smooth. A little prickle on the tongue and nearly no head. Each bottle is a little cask of mild.

I brewed this last spring and placed in a local contest:

5.25 gal 1037 22 ibu

3.5 lb UK Maris Otter pale
2.5 lb German Vienna
.25 lb Belgian Caramunich
.25 lb UK Crystal 150L
.1 lb Belgian Special B
.1 lb German Carafa II
.1 lb UK Chocolate
.1 lb UK Pale Chocolate

Mash at 154F 75 min
5.8 AAU Kent Golding hop pellets, 45 min into 90 min boil

Pitched Wyeast 1318 yeast

Single stage fermentation 15 days

Bottled 4.75 gallons with 53 gm corn sugar in wort at 66F (between 1.5 and 1.75 vol CO2)

Judged three weeks later.

Recipe based on 2009 AHA award winner.

Next time I'd shorten the mash time at that temperature to 60 minutes and reduce the boil time to 60 minutes too. I'm working on shortening my brew day.

This is a great winter brew (not that we really have a winter in San Diego, CA) but with the cooler temps it is a nice ale to have, with its wonderful roasted finish. I will need to brew another batch of this as I'm about to kick 5 gallons already.

Ever since I brewed Bob's mild, I'm looking forward to brewing another batch (or three). I certainly "got" it after just a few sips, altough the low carbonation was weird at first.

Now, I carb all my beers to 2.0 volumes max. Brewing and tasting mild actually changed my taste in carbonation levels, so that says a lot about how much it rocks.

Just brewed this again today. I haven't brewed in over a month but all went as planned so looking foward to drinking this in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back