Bries Traditional Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich5665

Reaction score
I'm planning on an LME brew tonight. Using the following ingredients

Bries Traditional Dark - 6.6 lbs
Willamette Pellet Hops - 1oz
Windsor Ale Yeast

I plan to use a modified version of the Mr. Beer instructions

Sanitize Everything

Step 1: Add 1 Gallon of cold water in to my 5 Gallon Carboy
Step 2: Bring 8 cups of water to a boil
Step 3: Put Hops into Hop Sack and add to water
Step 4: Lower the heat and stir LME until dissolved
Step 5: Continue stir Wort on low heat for 1/2 hour
Step 6: Remove Hops sack
Step 7: Add wort to 5 Gallon Carboy
Step 8: Add refrigerated cold water bringing Wort to 4 or 4.5 gallons
Step 9: Stir wort, Temp should be ~80 degrees
Step 10: Pitch Yeast
Step 11: Cap with Bung and add Air lock or in my case a blow off valve (Just in case)

I'll take a gravity reading before adding the wort to the carboy and another at the time of bottling. Ferment for 2 - 3 weeks then bottle.

Any suggestions and feed back are welcomed.

So according to the Breiss Web Site I should boil 3 to 4 gallons of water then add my LME and hops. Since my carboy is only 5 gallons, I'll boil up 3 gallons of water, add the LME and hops and bring that to a slow boil. I'll transfer the wort to my carboy, top off with a gallon of refrigerated water, stir then pitch my yeast.

I'm planning on an LME brew tonight. Using the following ingredients

Bries Traditional Dark - 6.6 lbs
Willamette Pellet Hops - 1oz
Windsor Ale Yeast

I plan to use a modified version of the Mr. Beer instructions

Sanitize Everything

Step 1: Add 1 Gallon of cold water in to my 5 Gallon Carboy
Step 2: Bring 8 cups of water to a boil
Step 3: Put Hops into Hop Sack and add to water
Step 4: Lower the heat and stir LME until dissolved
Step 5: Continue stir Wort on low heat for 1/2 hour
Step 6: Remove Hops sack
Step 7: Add wort to 5 Gallon Carboy
Step 8: Add refrigerated cold water bringing Wort to 4 or 4.5 gallons
Step 9: Stir wort, Temp should be ~80 degrees
Step 10: Pitch Yeast
Step 11: Cap with Bung and add Air lock or in my case a blow off valve (Just in case)

I'll take a gravity reading before adding the wort to the carboy and another at the time of bottling. Ferment for 2 - 3 weeks then bottle.

Any suggestions and feed back are welcomed.

I think you are making a little hard. Extract is simple to do.

Bring your water to a boil, 2-3 gallons, depending on pot, once it is boiling, remove from heat, stir in the LME a little to get it all dissolved. Bring to back to heat and bring to boil... watch out for boil overs, if it is starting to foam up, removed from heat until it goes down. Once it is done foaming, add your hops per your schedule. Once it is done, cool the wort down, while it is cooling sanitize your carboy or bucket and the airlock stuff. Put your wort in the carboy, add your remain water and then get your wort close to the temp that the yeast need. Let the yeast their thing for a couple weeks, bottle and enjoy a few weeks after that.

I think you are making a little hard. Extract is simple to do.

Bring your water to a boil, 2-3 gallons, depending on pot, once it is boiling, remove from heat, stir in the LME a little to get it all dissolved. Bring to back to heat and bring to boil... watch out for boil overs, if it is starting to foam up, removed from heat until it goes down. Once it is done foaming, add your hops per your schedule. Once it is done, cool the wort down, while it is cooling sanitize your carboy or bucket and the airlock stuff. Put your wort in the carboy, add your remain water and then get your wort close to the temp that the yeast need. Let the yeast their thing for a couple weeks, bottle and enjoy a few weeks after that.

Took your advise. I have 4.5 gallons fermenting in my 5 gallon carboy. In order to lower the temp of the wort, after adding it to the carboy, I capped the carboy placed it into a plastic 5 gallon rubbermaid tub, filled the tub with cold water and ice packs. While waiting for the wort to chill, I re-hydrated the yeast, when the Wort hit 85* I pitched the yeast and placed the carboy in a dark corner of the stair well leading to my cellar. I have a blow off tube installed just in case. The blanket in the background is going to be wrapped around the carboy to keep out an light.

Traditional Dark.jpg

85 F was too high. You wanted it down somewhere around 65 F.

The best thing you can do for it now is put it back in the Rubbermaid tub and fill with cold water, preferably with some ice.

As yeast ferments it creates heat. the water in the 'swamp-cooler' is a great heat sink to prevent high fermentation temps.

I don't know what yeast you are using, but most yeasts (there are some exceptions) will perform best (that is will not create too may esters or higher alcohols) at 70 F and below.

85 F was too high. You wanted it down somewhere around 65 F.

The best thing you can do for it now is put it back in the Rubbermaid tub and fill with cold water, preferably with some ice.

As yeast ferments it creates heat. the water in the 'swamp-cooler' is a great heat sink to prevent high fermentation temps.

I don't know what yeast you are using, but most yeasts (there are some exceptions) will perform best (that is will not create too may esters or higher alcohols) at 70 F and below.

I state 85 only because the thermometer I have doesn't go lower

Back