Brian Boru (my spin)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan33

Reaction score
REDalin (my wife renamed my boru clone for me)

Grain Bill:
5# Golden Promise
2# Munich
13.6oz med crystal
1# Flaked Oats
3.7 oz roasted Barley
1# Honey

Hop Schedule:
.25oz Simcoe 60 minutes
.5oz amirillo 15 minutes
.5oz amirillo 10 minutes
1oz amirillo 5 minutes
1oz amirillo flameout
.75oz simcoe flameout (last minute decision that deviates from the clone)

Dryhop:
1 oz amirillo
1 oz simcoe (another change of plan)
1 oz citra (yet another)

I will mash at 152 and batch sparge cool to 64 and pitch yeast starter and ferment in primary for 7 days. Rack to secondary on 1 oz of amirillo simcoe and citra.

Brewday:
OG 1.052
14.7 SRM
43.9 IBU
(Note: the 1# of oats caused a very slow sparge almost stuck. I suggest rice hulls maybe.)

my thoughts for more of a clone leave out simcoe and citra and dryhop with 2 oz amirillo
I have updated this with all the changes I made along the way. I started wanting a boru clone, but then realized I had never tasted one anyway and can't get it here in Arkansas, so I decided to add to it some of the hops that I love. Cheers!

Hit 1.052 with about 5.5 or a little over wort going into carboy. 12 hours after pitch had to put blowoff on. It smells amazing. Thinking I may dryhop also but haven't decided yet. Here is a pic of fermentation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

1390794744628.jpg

I should note that my flameout hops steeped for 15-20 minutes before I chilled wort

I used wyeast irish ale. Prob shoulda used somethin else but it is what I had ready

I read that 3 floyds prob use esb but I had intended on regular irish red and had a change of heart last minute. Maybe ill do a diacetal rest before dry hopping

Well its been 5 days fermenting at 64 in the lagerator. I won't be able to dryhop until sunday because have my pliny clone to brew tomorrow. I think I can't leave well enough alone. I am pretty stocked with hops right now so I am thinking about adding to my dryhop. I was originally going to just do a couple ounces of amirillo for 5 days. then my plan changed on brew day and I threw in some simcoe so I was going to dryhop with an ounce amirillo and an ounce of simcoe. Well, Im getting farther from the clone I set out for because I think I will also throw an ounce of citra in.

1 oz amirillo, citra, and simcoe

I thought about Apollo and summit also but I think I will stick to the 3 ounces above. I hear it is a great combination. :mug:
I am ready to get this REDalin dryhopped and kegged for a proper tasting :rockin:

I will let you know. I'm going to keg it wenesday. I did leave the Citra out of the dryhop because I have an all citra ipa that I'm brewing this weekend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

This may be the best Irish red I've ever tasted. When it Finishes carbing I'll post a picture very happy with this one

Nice red. Turned out fantastic. Of course it's little more Hoppy than normal but not an ipa. I will brew again. May cut the honey a little and boost base grains

1392759678159.jpg

Good recipe!

Did you use honey or honey malt? At what stage you put the honey?

Thanks!

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of giving this a shot. Did you use actual honey or honey malt? I think 3 Floyds uses actual honey but I would be open to adding some honey malt

Back