Brewpub spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read that many have a co-operation with local farmers, ranchers, and soils suppliers to have it all collected and used Organically.

I have also read that others go so far as to dry it out for disposal so that they are not charged for the weight of the water.

Great Lakes Brewing Company gets rid of their spent grains by giving them to local hog farmers and they also use the grains as compost. They actually use the grain compost to grow some hops on a small scale. "Environmentally friendly" brewing at its finest!

I wonder if it's a big cost center for them. I mean, I never see spent grain laying around and you certainly can't smell the stench.

Compost, sell to farmers, cook with it...pretty much the same things we do.

Edit to clarify...I just used "sell" as a generic term. Most actually donate to farmers, or even have a agreements with them to get the beef from their cattle.

I know that Sprecher Brewery has certain farmers that come on certain days and pick up up as soon as it's been taken out of the mashtun. I believe it's used as cattle feed. I understand that they give it to the farmers for free, which makes everybody happy.

There are a couple of elk ranchers around here that take it from a couple of the breweries. I believe the others give theirs to cattle ranchers.

Golden Valley's owner has a beef ranch. I know Widmer's goes to a cattle ranch as well. Spent grain is high protein feed.

On the Dogfish tour, they said that they have it worked out where they send all of their spent grain to local beef & dairy cattle farmers, which in turn sell them beef to cook in their local brewpub. Win-win situation!

I have read that many have a co-operation with local farmers, ranchers, and soils suppliers to have it all collected and used Organically.

I have also read that others go so far as to dry it out for disposal so that they are not charged for the weight of the water.

Word.

Build a pen and get a few little baby swine name them 'Ham Delicious' and 'Bacon Delicious' and 'Cholesterol' and feed them the leftovers.

When they're good and fat, slaughter and clean them and hang their legs and arms, back and ribs up. Cut their little bellies and make pancetta, and chop their faces up and make guanciale. Whatever is leftover; make headcheese.

For the front legs pull out all of the bone and meat but try to keep the skin intact enough to sow it back up. The front leg skins can be stuffed with bits and pieces to make a six-pack of zampone.

And, don't forget to save the guts. They smell like nasty garbage but after they are cleaned up there's nothing like them when making salami and fresh sausages.

...Just think how great that is: Beer and Swine! A perfect combination.

Word.

Build a pen and get a few little baby swine name them 'Ham Delicious' and 'Bacon Delicious' and 'Cholesterol' and feed them the leftovers.

When they're good and fat, slaughter and clean them and hang their legs and arms, back and ribs up. Cut their little bellies and make pancetta, and chop their faces up and make guanciale. Whatever is leftover; make headcheese.

For the front legs pull out all of the bone and meat but try to keep the skin intact enough to sow it back up. The front leg skins can be stuffed with bits and pieces to make a six-pack of zampone.

And, don't forget to save the guts. They smell like nasty garbage but after they are cleaned up there's nothing like them when making salami and fresh sausages.

Haha, Beautiful. Sounds like experience speaking

When I lived in Little Rock, Arkansas, 3 of the micro brews there sold/donated it to local farmers for use as animal feed.

Kris

Haha, Beautiful. Sounds like experience speaking

I do have some experience butchering, raising pigs, yes. I haven't the opportunity in several years. The jowls are the most tender portion of a pig; also one of the fattiest, but delish nonetheless. It is my understanding that some southernfolk smoke them and serve them with collard and/or mustard greens.

As of right now I just mulch my spent grain and hops into the garden beds. I'm sure they aren't too acid.... at least not in the short run. The spent yeast is terrific for the septic system and probably is very beneficial to the garden bed.

The spent grain breads I make are freaking awesome. I know must pubs do not bake their own breads/rolls/buns, but it is a very nice touch for some of those out there that do.

I know there is no way to go through all of that grain, though, so they still have to have a secondary recipient of a lot of that stuff. Have definitely heard of the cattle/pig farm or for organic compost.

I've driven by Harpoon Brewery and have seen a 6" pipe coming out of the plant and spent grains dumping into a big dumpster..

Word.

That was really unpleasant to read :eek:

My wife and I just made dog biscuits for xmas gifts using the grains from a 70 shilling.

I have a question, is spent grain really beneficial to farm animals. I am no scientist, but isn't the starch mostly gone in spent grain?

I think every brewery tour I've been on, they've said they give the spent grains to farmers. Dry Dock gets a half pig, I think in return. They had a pig roast for their anniversary this year, if I remember correctly.

Back