Brewpot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhntr64

Reaction score
When transferring wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter do you drain all the solids at the bottom of the kettle into the fermenter or do you just drain the liquids off ?

You can do either and be ok. When I'm done chilling the wort, I drop my racking cane in the bottom of the boil kettle and transfer to the fermenter. I get some solids with the wort, but it settles out and compacts nicely.

I dump everything into the fermenter, even the thick green glop at the end. Any liquid in that glop contains sugars that can become beer so throwing it out is like throwing out beer. When the fermentation is done I leave the beer sit for quite a while which allows all the undesired gunk to settle out, compact down and get thick so I don't get much of it into my bottling bucket. What does get there settles back out quickly and the beers clears up in the bottles.

Thanks guys! I could care less about how cloudy my beer is I just thought there's gotta be fermentables in there and I have heard of guys going thru great pains to sperate it! From here on out if it's in the kettle it's going in the fermenter!

The exbeeriment posted above is probably one of the best experiments I've seen on beer. Not only is it well executed and well documented with lots of beautiful pictures, but the results tell me exactly what I wanted to hear to make my brew day even more fun and less effort!

You can do either and be ok. When I'm done chilling the wort, I drop my racking cane in the bottom of the boil kettle and transfer to the fermenter. I get some solids with the wort, but it settles out and compacts nicely.

+1 Been brewing for almost 10 years now. Never had a problem with this method.

Back