brewpot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
hello all,

I know you can't brew in an aluminum pot but can I get away with an enamel one? I am definitely going to get a stainless steel 32qt soon but I I won't be able to afford one till next month and I want to bring a new batch to my cousins birthday party in about a month and a half. I have a 12qt enamel stockpot that I use for making homemade stock and broth. Will it ruin my beer if I use that?

Thanks,

MC

hello all,

I know you can't brew in an aluminum pot but can I get away with an enamel one? I am definitely going to get a stainless steel 32qt soon but I I won't be able to afford one till next month and I want to bring a new batch to my cousins birthday party in about a month and a half. I have a 12qt enamel stockpot that I use for making homemade stock and broth. Will it ruin my beer if I use that?

Thanks,

MC

You can absolutely brew in an aluminum pot, just don't use bleach. If it's new, boil water in it for an hour to create an oxide layer. No problemo.

To answer your question, enamel cookware is pretty inert stuff. I can't think of any reason not to use an enamel pot, other than the fact that they're extremely heavy.

Enamel is fine as long as it's intact, but it has a tendency to chip, and the second you have even a miniscule chip, it is FUBAR for home brewing. Much easier just to spring for a SS pot and not have to worry about it. You'll be fine for a few batches in the enamel while you're waiting for your SS as long as you are careful with it.

I have been using aluminum for a few years and have no problems at all!

Like nbolmer said, no bleach and no oxyclean but other than that I am very happy with my aluminum kettle!

The nice thing is if I get alzheimers from my kettle I will either be too old to care or won't know where it come from in the first place!

Go aluminum!!!

I have been using aluminum for a few years and have no problems at all!

Like nbolmer said, no bleach and no oxyclean but other than that I am very happy with my aluminum kettle!

The nice thing is if I get alzheimers from my kettle I will either be too old to care or won't know where it come from in the first place!

Go aluminum!!!

For those who don't know what he's talking about a (completely dispelled) myth that aluminum pots can cause Alzheimers.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

Latest posts

Back