Brewpot Preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjopicker16

Reaction score
Im in the market for a 15 gallon stainless steel brewpot. But I find that the aluminum sandwich bottomed ones, for even heat distribution, are way more expensive. Anyone have a preference for brewpots? Without the even heat distribution, one has to worry about scorching the wort. Tell me your thoughts, about worrys of scorching, problems, or if anyone knows of a store with goods deals on brewpots!

banjopicker16 said:
Im in the market for a 15 gallon stainless steel brewpot. But I find that the aluminum sandwich bottomed ones, for even heat distribution, are way more expensive. Anyone have a preference for brewpots? Without the even heat distribution, one has to worry about scorching the wort. Tell me your thoughts, about worrys of scorching, problems, or if anyone knows of a store with goods deals on brewpots!

I have a 10 gallon SS with a sandwhiched bum, and I love it! (85 bucks)
Unless you need to do 10 g batches you dont need a 15 g keggle.
I imagine you could get a 15G ss for not much more than 100 bucks, but keggles are free.
I have a keggle but never used it.

"I have a 10 gallon SS with a sandwhiched bum, and I love it! (85 bucks)
Unless you need to do 10 g batches you dont need a 15 g keggle.
I imagine you could get a 15G ss for not much more than 100 bucks, but keggles are free.
I have a keggle but never used it."

Sounds like you know where to get a cheap brew kettle! Where is this? Ive never really considered a keggle, but I know a lot of people that use them. Do they come in at least 15 gallon sizes? How much would one cut of the top? I use an immersion chiller, is there room? I'd also want a mesh tube at the bottom for a valve to move the wort.

A standard Sankey keg is 15.5 gals. Most people cut a 12" hole in the top so that the sides are intact with handy carrying handles.

Then you drill a hole near the bottom for the outake, which can be accomplished by welding a coupling into the hole, or by a combination of simple fittings, washers, and silicone o-rings to create a weldless assembly. Most brewers use some sort of siphon diptube inside the keggle so that it can be fully drained with the outake valve.

Ivan Lendl's claim notwithstanding, they are not free, unless of course you steal one. You can get a salvage keg and convert it yourself for cheap, or you could buy one pre-built for in the neighborhood of $100.

You can Google search for folks that sell them pre-made. Check e-bay also.

Ivan Lendl said:
I have a 10 gallon SS with a sandwhiched bum, and I love it! (85 bucks)
Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but what the hell is a 'sandwhiched bum'? Sheer curiosity demands an answer!!!!!

.....and why does it sound like something cheese would say? :D

Here is the kettle that I use. Click the photo to see the listing. It's perfect for my uses!

4295-DSC02116.jpg

Great pic of the KettleRats, John. If I didn't know that was a 15 gallon'r, I'd say you have little bonsai kids!!!!

Thanks Fiery! The funny thing is, when the kettle first arrived they couldn't get in it fast enough! It was their first instinct. Sometimes I can barely remember how fun it was to be a kid, but fortunately my kids remind me every day.

Fiery Sword said:
Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but what the hell is a 'sandwhiched bum'? Sheer curiosity demands an answer!!!!!

.....and why does it sound like something cheese would say? :D

The bottom (bum) has 3 layers, stainless, copper, aluminum (i think). The copper in the middle is for even heat dispersal, they work great!

Latest posts

Back