Brewpot Cracked Mid Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGrieves

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a new brewpot. It looks great. This is only my second batch with it.

This is the pot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00267Q3JW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

About 5 minutes into the boil today I hear something sizzling on the gas burner. I look and there is a crack in the pot. I wipe it and then it is no longer coming out of the crack, however, the crack is obvious.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lntsg0FN4I1qmtg9go1_500.jpg

It is sort of hard to see, but you can see the crease.

My questions are:

1) This happens? I feel like I should get a refund. Not even two batches?

2) If I finish my boil like this, will it be safe? Could I be leaching metals since the crap exposes the "interior" or the stainless steel (bear with me, I was an English major)?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have better luck contacting the manufacture. There should be no reason they shouldn't give you a new pot. For this batch I wouldn't worry about it

Anyone with any knowledge of metals have any advice regarding safety. Should I drink this brew or toss it?

Stainless steel is not a coating, it is a through-and-through alloy process (it may be coated as well, but not generally). It is perfectly safe.

Stainless steel is not a coating, it is a through-and-through alloy process (it may be coated as well, but not generally). It is perfectly safe.

+1 stainless is stainless. Safe for your body. As long as you can still finish boiling the batch, you should ferment and drink it. Sucks about the pot though. Contact the manufacturer for sure.

First time I've seen that happen. Nice. One of my pots is beat all to hell and I've never considered this happening.

You're safe to finish up and start fermentation. Stainless isn't going to hurt you.

Contact Amazon or your manufacturer and get it replaced. -> Make sure they get you a return label at their cost. <- It's not your fault it did this.

Definitely try for a replacement, that's bogus. And don't forget to leave a review to offset it's current 4.5 star status.

I bought an ss pot from a local bargain center that had a lamination in the steel. That is a flaw in the rolling of the sheet of raw steel. Laminations in a thin sheet will sometimes open during heating/cooling and look and behave like a crack. There is probably no foreign material in the crack, but it will enlarge through continued use.

Hope you can get a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back