BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the stuck script above from the "script starting up", into a 3rd RPi V-3, and I get the same GUI screen
I think @LBussy will send me a bill for all this.... I can fix your Plumbing or HVAC and make great beer, but this Python "stuff" is beyond my pay scale

Who are the View attachment 811669 ?

View attachment 811671

And now I'll crawl back into my hole whilst the rest of you laugh uproariously.

Carry on. 😉
I’m old enough to remember the Cleveland Barons, the Colorado Rockies, the Atlanta Flames, the Kansas City Scouts, the California Golden Seals, the Minnesota North Stars, and the Quebec Nordiques. I watched every one of those teams play.

Last edited:
He owns a team in Czechia. Had to play for them in December due to multiple players being out with Covid-19. He's 50.

Now...back to beer.
Look at the Rabbit Hole I opened up....
Has anyone downloaded the recent BPRemix and its working ??
Getting worried that my only 1 good copy working will crap and back to lighting a fire and using ice from the pond, under the Coni , to heat and cool....

Anyone downloaded BeerSmith onto there RPi desktop? There is a Debian Beersmith for Ubuntu 22.04, but I dont know if that is the proper program language... I did program in COBOL, RPG, FORTRAN,and Basic +, back in 1976, but dont know Jack about this stuff
Here is the command line - sudo dpkg -i BeerSmith*.deb
and that does not work in the Terminal

Last edited:
Nothing about that tells me BrewPi is installed correctly. I hate to ask this but with the issues we had initially, can you start with a clean SD card again?

That's actually a different firmware version. When we get you working again remind me and I'll find the switch to re-flash with that choice.
Lee, I started another Lager today and was wondering if you know what command to issue to re-flash with a tighter Cooling and Heating PID profile?
I use a 300 watt RV water heater rod, to heat, and this also overshoots. I am getting about 1.4 degree over/under and the last lager never tightened up anything less than about 1 degree over 2 weeks.
Also, I am going to try yet another control board, another new one never used and see if I can get the newest RPiR and Raspian on it, otherwise I will just copy the old SD card still working and use that. I never set up 2 chambers, I always have been just using 2 separate RPi's, one for each fermentor tank. This was all we could do, before you came along, updated and fixed Elco's original works. It was a real PITA back then, going through all his documents and trying to figure it out. Somehow I did.... It was just luck and perseverance, I guess.... Your one-line command for a fork is so sweat now!
I will backup my only working card before I lunch it, trying to re-flash.... :rolleyes:
Thanks for all your help over the years!

Does the software have the ability to" fermentation free rise" ? Example. Chill wort to 65 pitch yeast. Let the temperature rise without the aid of the heater until the target temperature let say 68 then it can cool or heat if needed after that.

Thanks

Does the software have the ability to" fermentation free rise" ? Example. Chill wort to 65 pitch yeast. Let the temperature rise without the aid of the heater until the target temperature let say 68 then it can cool or heat if needed after that.

Thanks
I do this with all my Lagers. Just put the Temperature Mode, to OFF. It will still keep logging the Temperature, and the Graph will keep plotting.
I really do not see a reason to do what you are asking, EXCEPT, if you just want to walk away from your Brew for weeks, and let the BPRmix put this into your Beer Profile timeline, then automatically switch back to a Cold Crash (or whatever). I thought this idea would work also, but I keep "tweaking" my Beer Profile, if the fermentation is taking too long or faster than expected. So I have no idea exactly what date/time, I want to Free Rise.
Just my 2-Cents.....
Brew ON!

@LBussy
I tried yet another new Controller and after uninstalling BPiR from the card (option #3 total uninstall)
I downloaded the program from your 1-line command in Your post #2, and still get - "Script starting up". I am able to Edit the Profile at the bottom of the GUI, but the upper Graph never loads up, even after waiting for any Data to propagate the field.
My RPiLegecy is running great now at the same time, with a different Client Name on my home Router.
I did shut down and turn off the Legecy version to see if it "dissapeared", this new Remix would work, but the same "Script starting up" is frozen
I am still wondering if anyone else has downloaded a fresh copy and have this issue, or if it is just my mess ?
Screenshot (13).png

@LBussy
One last "Question" - I never got to the point of defining my temperature probes under the Maintenance Panel, but I do not think this would keep the upper GUI from loading??? I don't remember in the past years, that I had to define my probes, before the Graph would show up. Just making sure this is not the problem now.
EDIT - I just now tried to define the probes and "Read Values" then "Refresh List", the GUI just sits there spinning and never shows the probes

@day_trippr I am using the browser that comes with Raspian desktop. I think it is Chrome, in my brewery. I don't know if the RaspberryPi Remix, can be run on a Windows system, nor can I use Firefox, as a browser, on the Raspian platform?

I was just wondering because it didn't look familiar.
Over the years some weird behaviors have been attributed to various browsers, but I'm presuming that you have had at least one controller working properly in recent history so I'm assuming you're not fighting a browser issue...

Cheers!

I was just wondering because it didn't look familiar.
Over the years some weird behaviors have been attributed to various browsers, but I'm presuming that you have had at least one controller working properly in recent history so I'm assuming you're not fighting a browser issue...

Cheers!
I have the Legacy version running for the past 2 years without any issues. I just decided to "update" the Raspbian desktop and RPR, on a second Raspberry Pi - 3 B+, and this has been the problem. I had 2 Pi's running, since way back before Lee took this on, there were no abilities to have 2 Chambers, as you know!
I am waiting for this current Legacy beer to finish in the fermentor, copy the only good SD card (hopefully I don't F that up...), then clean up my puked-up "build box". I am just trying to have an "Insurance Policy " card working, before I update the old Legacy card....
Thanks @day_trippr !

It is really lonely on this Thread now..... Did I scare everyone away, or is the "Traffic" migrating to -

Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed! ???

I may make an amateur stab and try the ESP8266 build, if I can not get any new BrewPiRemix to work. I gave up after multiple cards, controllers, and trying a few other "fixes". I just keep getting to the home page GUI and the Script " is starting up", forever frozen (as above)

Still wondering if ANYone, has tried to download this script, run through the setup, and have a running version up, lately ? That would tell me for sure if it is on my end, or what.

Now this is way to bizarre... I updated my Router firmware, and when I tried an SD card (above posts from me) that would not start up, it is now running?
Have no clue if updating the home router did the "trick", but It seems to be so.
Can anyone tell me where the Beer Profiles are stored in which File? I want to copy my old beer profiles to this new SD card
Screenshot from 2023-02-14 09-28-33.png

It is really lonely on this Thread now..... Did I scare everyone away, or is the "Traffic" migrating to -

Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed! ???

I may make an amateur stab and try the ESP8266 build, if I can not get any new BrewPiRemix to work. I gave up after multiple cards, controllers, and trying a few other "fixes". I just keep getting to the home page GUI and the Script " is starting up", forever frozen (as above)

Still wondering if ANYone, has tried to download this script, run through the setup, and have a running version up, lately ? That would tell me for sure if it is on my end, or what.
I can tell you that both threads are still active, and development on both projects is still ongoing. I spent last Sunday at a brewery working on the next round of changes to both the web interface and GUI for my BrewPi integrations, and I've had Lee pinging me about work he's been doing on his latest projects.

While I haven't done a recent BPR install myself, but I also don't have as ready access to a stream of cheap RPis given the supply chain concerns over the past year. That said, I don't think that anything major has changed recently that would have caused it to break.

@Thorrak
Please let me know, what Cooling and Heating the brewery is using. I would imagine that Glycol and a Steam Jacketed Coni, would cause the BPR"s P.I.D. algorithm to over and undershoot, like mine does.
I did just get a good SD card working with the Glycol shield option, but have not run it yet on an active brew. Not sure if the glycol option when setting up the card, would also tighten up the heating side also?
I use a 300 watt "hot rod" heater, that is used in R.V's little water heaters, and this works great. I screwed the rod into a Tri clamp adapter, and its powered with 110vac, controlled by the BPRemix. It does a great job on my 1/2 Bbl Ss Brewtech Unitank, (15 gallons) but the PID lets it overshoot by 1 to 1.5 degrees over about 7-11 minute "on" cycle.
Cooling is from a small aquarium pump, down in a 55 gallon drum of approximately 36F water, that sits inside my walk-in cooler, with hoses run out the wall, outside and over to the heat-exchanger on the unitank.

@Thorrak
Please let me know, what Cooling and Heating the brewery is using. I would imagine that Glycol and a Steam Jacketed Coni, would cause the BPR"s P.I.D. algorithm to over and undershoot, like mine does.

Sorry -- to be clear, I was drinking their beer while coding, not helping them ferment it. While I know there are breweries that run BrewPi-derived controllers (and Fermentrack/BPR), I can't speak to exactly what settings they use (or what hardware)

That said - If any brewery in the tri-state area is interested in tinkering with a BrewPi-derived setup, hit me up. ;) I've said it once, and I'll say it again -- the main reason that I don't have glycol mode currently is because I don't have a rig to test it with.

I did just get a good SD card working with the Glycol shield option, but have not run it yet on an active brew. Not sure if the glycol option when setting up the card, would also tighten up the heating side also?
I use a 300 watt "hot rod" heater, that is used in R.V's little water heaters, and this works great. I screwed the rod into a Tri clamp adapter, and its powered with 110vac, controlled by the BPRemix. It does a great job on my 1/2 Bbl Ss Brewtech Unitank, (15 gallons) but the PID lets it overshoot by 1 to 1.5 degrees over about 7-11 minute "on" cycle.
Cooling is from a small aquarium pump, down in a 55 gallon drum of approximately 36F water, that sits inside my walk-in cooler, with hoses run out the wall, outside and over to the heat-exchanger on the unitank.

This has come up before, but 300W is a lot more heat than people think. "FermWraps" are 40W, which I would argue is still quite a bit in many cases, depending on ambient temp, insulation, etc -- even with 1/2 bbl of beer to manage.

I was initially using a 100w personal heater from Lasko and it proved to be too much heat in my 4.2 Cubic foot fridge. So I built a 75 watt reptile heater bulb with a dimmer to turn it down.

Well.... I got 2 good sd cards, and I put the Raspian desktop on a third, and then attempted twice to download RPR and get this-
Am I just proned to being F'd, or what? I need a beer now.....
Here is the error -
Screenshot from 2023-02-14 16-50-56.png

@Thorrak , yes he did, with a command line to get the RPR to download in post #596 and 597
Thanks!
Can you tell me (or anyone else), if you run any risk of "frying" your 3-wire temperature sensor, if you mix up the wires? Or cause any damage to the Controller??
I have the DS18B20, 3 wire probes - Output lead:red (VDD) , yellow(DATA) , black(GND)
I hooked up some old sensors the the new RPRemix, and not getting any temperature number showing up on the dashboard. I do know I have to define the probes under Maintenance Panel - Device Configuration - "Read Values", but I see none of the sensors being found .
thanks again for all your help
Ed Bloom - Bloombrews

Can you tell me (or anyone else), if you run any risk of "frying" your 3-wire temperature sensor, if you mix up the wires? Or cause any damage to the Controller??

I have toasted a couple of ds18b20s over the years by misconnection but I've never blown either an RPi or an Arduino module while messing around with the sensors. That could just be luck though - it is inadvisable to tempt fate :)

Cheers!

@day_trippr , or anyone Else - Can anyone tell me if I will screw up my good installed RPRemix, if I change the programming language from the default now (Python), to Ubuntu Desbian ?
I want to be able to get my BeerSmith software onto my Raspberry Pi desktop so I dont have to run up to my office every time I need to update the recipe on the fly, while in the brewhouse?
Do I have to uninstall the BPRemix, download Ubuntu onto the SD card for my desktop, THEN, download RPRemix second ? Or can I leave the RPR as is, on the card, and then change the programming language to Ubuntu?
I am great at screwing things up.......

@day_trippr , or anyone Else - Can anyone tell me if I will screw up my good installed RPRemix, if I change the programming language from the default now (Python), to Ubuntu Desbian ?
I want to be able to get my BeerSmith software onto my Raspberry Pi desktop so I dont have to run up to my office every time I need to update the recipe on the fly, while in the brewhouse?
Do I have to uninstall the BPRemix, download Ubuntu onto the SD card for my desktop, THEN, download RPRemix second ? Or can I leave the RPR as is, on the card, and then change the programming language to Ubuntu?
An easier way may be to run something like Google Remote Desktop on Chromium on your Pi and on your office computer and just access Beer Smith from the Pi in the brewery. (assuming you have the Pi desktop up and aren't running headless)

Cheers!

Chris

https://beersmith.com/forum/index.p...ith-2-run-on-a-raspberry-pi.14699/#post-57471

Back