BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Arduino flashed, then yes, I would guess it is fine. What's interesting however is that BrewPi uses the same scripts and configuration to flash the Arduino.

What's troubling to me is the power failure. Then you seem to make a distinction between reboot and power cycle. I hope you are shutting the Pi down correctly before cycling power?

Your "unable to resolve host" commands are also troubling. It suggests that a host name change broke along the line. Check this article for some troubleshooting and resolution steps. The commands are not executing sucessfully without being able to sudo. Note this is a Linux issue, not a BrewPi one. Resolving this is imperative to run things correctly.

After you get that resolved, let's try this command to see what's running:

ps -ef | grep [b]rewpi

When I run it I get something like this:
Code:
pi@brewpi:~ $ ps -ef | grep [b]rewpi
brewpi     605     1  0 Oct14 ?        00:00:29 /bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d
brewpi   12986   605 22 06:04 ?        00:00:01 /home/brewpi/venv/bin/python3 -u /home/brewpi/brewpi.py --log --datetime

The first is the the shell which controls the Python process, the second is the actual BrewPi script. It's possible you will see some differences but that's the minimum for a single chamber setup.

Hi Thanks for the response

I too am worried about the power failure. We have had a few over the years and it has always seemed to be ok...
"distinction between reboot and power cycle" - In my defense, i tried the proper way first... then threw the breaker.

I tried to follow the steps to resolve the "unable to resolve host". But i cannot for the life of me remember the root password (i tried the "default": raspberry). I do have the password for the pi account. Anyway, i managed to successfully fix the problem (read: the error line no longer appears) by changing the hostname under Raspberry Pi Configuration.

I ran "ps -ef | grep rewpi" - i get no results.

I ran "sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doUpdate.sh" to test the "unable to resolve host" and i notice the last line ends with: "BrewPi was not running when we started. If it does not start after this you may have to investigate."

I never thought anything of this before as the web GUI opens, but clearly something is not running. I tried to do some service fault finding below... but that is the extent of my capabilities.

pi@pi3brew:~ $ sudo systemctl status brewpi
● brewpi.service - BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/brewpi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 11:24:42 AEST; 20min ago
Docs: User Documentation — BrewPi Remix 0.8.0 documentation
Process: 951 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 951 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: Failed to start BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
pi@pi3brew:~ $ sudo systemctl restart brewpi
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/brewpi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 11:47:24 AEST; 18s ago
Process: 5826 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 5826 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I ran "ps -ef | grep rewpi" - i get no results.
Good! It looks like you may recently have changed your hostname but that process failed to complete. That's fine, you;re back.

I ran "sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doUpdate.sh" to test the "unable to resolve host" and i notice the last line ends with: "BrewPi was not running when we started. If it does not start after this you may have to investigate."

I never thought anything of this before as the web GUI opens, but clearly something is not running.
Yes, this is one of the more confusing parts of the system. It is intended to give you more control but I'm not sure the words are quite right. The web pages are served by Apache and they talk to BEERSOCKET which in turn connects to the script. So this means exactly what it says really, the Python script is not running.

I tried to do some service fault finding below... but that is the extent of my capabilities.
This looks like the daemon finally gave up. The quickest way to get things working now is probably to reboot the Pi (correctly!) Things should work after that, if not, let me know what you see.

Good! It looks like you may recently have changed your hostname but that process failed to complete. That's fine, you;re back.
I haven't made any changes since i setup in 2019. I am really a novice in Linux etc... i don't really go fiddling around so i may have done something back then and it has been lingering. I have run the update every now and then.

After a reboot it is still a no go. :(

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 23:52:05 AEST; 4min 16s ago
Process: 927 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 927 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: Failed to start BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.

One last blanket try before we dig into troubleshooting. execute:

/home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

You should see something like this:

Bash:
pi@brewpi:~ $ /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

Not running as root, relaunching.

***Script doPerms.sh starting.***

Fixing file permissions for /var/www/html.

Fixing file permissions for /home/brewpi.

Allowing BrewPi python access to Bluetooth interfaces.

Checking user accounts.

***Script doPerms.sh complete.***
pi@brewpi:~ $
After that, it's easiest to reboot and see what happens.

This Fixed it!!!!!! Thanks @LBussy you legend!

Now i got to see how this lager turns out, the fermenting was done, it just didn't start the cold crash on time - essentially a really long diacetyl rest. I guess it should be fine.

For those in the future: pi@brew3pi:~ $ sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

Advanced Settings question - I use a 55 gallon drum of chilled water in the walk-in-cooler (to the right of my avatar Ss tanks). The water is about 37F.
BrewPiL learns how long the cooling switch should be on, but it takes a few days to finally hone in, so the call for cooling stays on too long and I get as much as 3-4 degreesF under (too cold) my Set Point.
OK! question - in Advanced Settings under Cooling Overshoot Estimator, my present number listed after 2.5 days, is 3.768
How can I get the Raspberry Pi algorithm to respond faster to the cooling getting cold too much too fast? Not even sure if COEst. is the correct one to change.
If I just left ON, the BrewPi Legacy for a long time, then I guess it would hone in on the correct settings by Itself ?? Is this an option??
Thanks, Lee! Nice to see you're still here helping us All out, after all the years of your great efforts!

Ed Bloom

Last edited:
Any help with “unable to find my repository, did you move this file or not run from root” error?

Sure, but I need to know more. What's happening, what are you trying to do, what command are you running, and from where?
Sorry lol, yes that would be helpful. I am trying to install brewpi via the sudo install.Brewpi command. It runs through the questions but then at the end gives me that error. I am running the commons from the terminal window. I’ve run Brewpi on this pi in the past but I use it very infrequent.

Attachments

• 6E79048E-5A0C-4454-AE58-2E98D7305449.jpeg
    6E79048E-5A0C-4454-AE58-2E98D7305449.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Is it possible there was already an install present?

You might try resetting perms:

sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

(Normally the sudo command is not necessary for most of the utils, but in the case that permissions are quite horked up, this will prevent any issues.)

Is it possible there was already an install present?

You might try resetting perms:

sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

(Normally the sudo command is not necessary for most of the utils, but in the case that permissions are quite horked up, this will prevent any issues.)
I ran the level 3 uninstall command, update and upgraded apt.

When I run doPerms I get the error in the picture.

Attachments

• 81CA0785-BF9A-4D4D-A367-5570D70EA6D7.jpeg
    81CA0785-BF9A-4D4D-A367-5570D70EA6D7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Please execute the command:

sudo chown -R brewpi:brewpi /home/brewpi

It's possible this will clear it up, maybe not.

I can't say I have ever come up with that error you are having, so it's challenging for me to work through it. I suspect it would take keyboard time for me to figure it out. If this is a Pi that's somewhat "disposable" the very easiest thing may be to burn a fresh SD card and try the install over. There's some shrapnel from something that the uninstall did not remove.

I can't say I have ever come up with that error you are having, so it's challenging for me to work through it. I suspect it would take keyboard time for me to figure it out. If this is a Pi that's somewhat "disposable" the very easiest thing may be to burn a fresh SD card and try the install over. There's some shrapnel from something that the uninstall did not remove.

It says missing operand on execute

It says missing operand on execute
I just did it:

Bash:
pi@brewpi:~ $ sudo chown -R brewpi:brewpi /home/brewpi

Did you maybe copy/paste in a weird Windows CR/LF combo? Try to type it instead, if so. You should see this if you ls -al /home/brewpi:

Bash:
pi@brewpi:~ $ ls -al /home/brewpi
total 524
drwxr-xr-x 12 brewpi brewpi    4096 Dec 22 14:39 .
drwxr-xr-x  5 root   root      4096 Jul 11 16:22 ..
-rwxrwx--x  1 brewpi brewpi    4831 Mar 23  2022 autoSerial.py
-rwxrwx--x  1 brewpi brewpi    8118 Mar 23  2022 backgroundserial.py
-rw-r--r--  1 brewpi brewpi      50 Mar 23  2022 .bash_aliases
-rw-------  1 brewpi brewpi     428 Jul 10 08:14 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--  1 brewpi brewpi    3523 Mar 23  2022 .bashrc
srw-rw----  1 brewpi www-data     0 Dec 22 14:39 BEERSOCKET
-rw-rw----  1 brewpi brewpi   40138 Jul 10 06:46 boards.txt

The important parts are . is owned by brewpi:brewpi, and .. is owned by root:root. Everything else should be owned by brewpi:brewpi except for BEERSOCKET. Pay special attention to the .git file and directory:

Bash:
drwxr-xr-x  8 brewpi brewpi    4096 Jul 10 07:07 .git
-rw-r--r--  1 brewpi brewpi     539 Mar 23  2022 .gitattributes

If all that looks right, log out and back in again and see if you can execute the doPerms script above.

I just did it:

Bash:

Did you maybe copy/paste in a weird Windows CR/LF combo? Try to type it instead, if so. You should see this if you ls -al /home/brewpi:

Bash:
total 524

The important parts are . is owned by brewpi:brewpi, and .. is owned by root:root. Everything else should be owned by brewpi:brewpi except for BEERSOCKET. Pay special attention to the .git file and directory:

Bash:

If all that looks right, log out and back in again and see if you can execute the doPerms script above.
I noticed you’re running the sudo chown from the Brewpi directory(pi@brewpi:~$ ) I’m not running it from that same root (pi@raspberrypi: ~$) ? Could this be the issue?

Sorry I’m mostly copy pasta level of code so my terms might be incorrect.

That's fine. We can get you there.

Not all the steps I asked you to check have been answered but the most important one may be: Are you okay with re-flashing your SD Card? If so that will be the easiest thing to talk you through.

I just did it:

Bash:

Bash:
total 524

Bash:

I just did it:

Bash:

Bash:
total 524

Bash:

I did what you said in this comment. My return does not look the same as yours. (I ran the -ls al command) see attached picture

Attachments

• 5D0711DA-C890-4458-A96A-CDE2FF7F2FEA.jpeg
    5D0711DA-C890-4458-A96A-CDE2FF7F2FEA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That's fine. We can get you there.

Not all the steps I asked you to check have been answered but the most important one may be: Are you okay with re-flashing your SD Card? If so that will be the easiest thing to talk you through.
I re flashed SD to new Raspian and ran install command. Everything is working now.

Thanks for all you help.

I did what you said in this comment. My return does not look the same as yours. (I ran the -ls al command) see attached picture
That looks like either there was an install in a directory other than the /home/brewpi/ root, or something else weird happened. I suspect that there was a .git repo in that other directory as well as the root. The uninstaller doesn't have the benefit of a registry as Windows does, so I had to make assumptions about what it would find.

I re flashed SD to new Raspian and ran install command. Everything is working now.
Very glad you got it going again!

Okay so after a few days a very good running I had a power blip in my house. I can’t get brewpi to run again when trying. I type in the address in the search bar but I get nothing. Is there a command I need to run in the term window to restart the brewpi program?

Okay so after a few days a very good running I had a power blip in my house. I can’t get brewpi to run again when trying. I type in the address in the search bar but I get nothing. Is there a command I need to run in the term window to restart the brewpi program?
Well, most often when someone complains of an issue after a "blip" or yanking the power instead of shutting down, there's an issue with the SD card.

If there is not, there are a couple ways to restart the daemon:
  1. Issue the command sudo systemctl restart brewpi
  2. Reboot (cleanly) with a command such as reboot, sudo reboot, or sudo shutdown -r now
You can monitor the standard error and standard output logs simultaneously with the command: tail -f /home/brewpi/logs/std*.txt. This may give you an idea what's going on if things do not behave correctly. A little deeper in, there are systemd logs for BrewPi which may provide additional information. These may be viewed by observing the state of the daemon with sudo systemctl status brewpi, or the syslog with sudo journalctl -u brewpi -f.

I took an older SD card out to run the brewpi remix, and get "Cannot connect to Brewpi Python script when the page opens
I then tried to upgrade with - curl -L upgrade.brewpiremix.com | sudo bashcurl -
and get Error unable to find repository, did you not run as root or from brewpi repository?
Before I go and reformat the sd card, and start over, any suggestions?
If you run as "root", is this not just typing in sudo then the update command? I still got the same error
Thanks Lee!

I ran that command and still getting "cannot connect to Brewpi Python script"
thanks again
pi@brewpi:~ $ sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

***Script doPerms.sh starting.***

Fixing file permissions for /var/www/html.

Fixing file permissions for /home/brewpi.

Allowing BrewPi python access to Bluetooth interfaces.

Checking user accounts.

***Script doPerms.sh complete.***

So when you say "older SD card" do you mean one that had BrewPi (OG) or BrewPi Remix?

And you are using the command curl -L upgrade.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash right?

Run it from your home directory if you are not.

Yes, this card is the 2 year old Remix.
I open the Terminal from the Raspberry Pi with this card in it
The User interface Remix opens, but cannot connect error at top of page window
I did try this and got the same error as yesterday , when updating -
pi@brewpi:~ $ sudo curl -L upgrade.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 707 100 707 0 0 2325 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 2333
100 10712 100 10712 0 0 25812 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 25812
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

ERROR: Unable to find repository, did you not run as root or from
brewpi directory?

It seems like the BrewPi home directory's git structure is damaged. It may be easiest to do one of two things:
  1. Uninstall with curl -L uninstall.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash; or
  2. Start with a clean card
Honestly, if that card is 2 years old the quickest thing is a fresh copy of Raspbian.

t reformatted 2 sd cards, and keep getting the same message when downloading Brewpi Remix
I also did an uninstall on the new card with new Raspian, of Brewpi Remix, just in case there were still files on it
Fortunately, I have 1 card working good running a Lager, but can not get any new cards to work on a separate Raspberry Pi
So this is 3 different cards with this message upon downloading BP Remix-
cloning BrewPi scripts to /home/brewpi.
Cloning into '/home/brewpi'...
Already on 'main'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'.
fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/home/brewpi'
To add an exception for this directory, call:

git config --global --add safe.directory /home/brewpi

ERROR: Unable to find my repository, did you move this file or not run as root?

*** ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ***
-------------------------------------

See above lines for error message.
Setup NOT completed.

bloombrews@raspberrypi:~ $

And .. I found it:

Cause​

A change was introduced in git 2.35.2 (and newer) to prevent a user from executing git commands in a repository owned by a different user. This is to address a security risk, CVE-2022-24765, for more details see setup_git_directory and Git security vulnerability announced. The change to setup_git_directory prevents git invocations from executing commands on a repository owned by another user.
So, let me have a look to see what I can do quickly.

Okay, try this for now:

curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/brewpi-remix/brewpi-tools-rmx/CVE-2022-24765/bootstrap.sh | sudo bash

I'm not completely done with testing the install, but I passed the spot where you got the error. Here is the change for those who are curious. Technically adding a vulnerability, but I'm just reverting the security change in git which should not matter with a Raspberry Pi. If it does matter, you should already know how to fix this. :)

Last edited:
OK, got past the error on the repository, but now the GUI page is stuck on "Cant connect to Script"
I have 2 Raspberry Pi's running side-by-side, and the Wifi connection is good, but only the older RPiR that is happy crunching along, as the today's download RPi setup is stuck. I did not try any other SD cards to see, but I suspect I will get the same GUI ice cube
Thanks for all your non-paid, work, helping all us! This Control, when it works, brought me many medals in competions!

The GUI is frozen in a loop "waiting for update from script" and the tab top-right "checking script"
Not sure if I typed in the correct syntax on your above bootstrap.log, but here is what I got -
Happy Brewing!
bloombrews@raspberrypi:~ $ /home/pi/bootstrap.log
bash: /home/pi/bootstrap.log: No such file or directory
bloombrews@raspberrypi:~ $ /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt
bash: /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt: Text file busy
bloombrews@raspberrypi:~ $

here is the window upon opening the GUI-
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 12-17-48.png

Back