BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

OP
OP
LBussy

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If the Arduino flashed, then yes, I would guess it is fine. What's interesting however is that BrewPi uses the same scripts and configuration to flash the Arduino.

What's troubling to me is the power failure. Then you seem to make a distinction between reboot and power cycle. I hope you are shutting the Pi down correctly before cycling power?

Your "unable to resolve host" commands are also troubling. It suggests that a host name change broke along the line. Check this article for some troubleshooting and resolution steps. The commands are not executing sucessfully without being able to sudo. Note this is a Linux issue, not a BrewPi one. Resolving this is imperative to run things correctly.

After you get that resolved, let's try this command to see what's running:

ps -ef | grep [b]rewpi

When I run it I get something like this:
Code:
[email protected]:~ $ ps -ef | grep [b]rewpi
brewpi     605     1  0 Oct14 ?        00:00:29 /bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d
brewpi   12986   605 22 06:04 ?        00:00:01 /home/brewpi/venv/bin/python3 -u /home/brewpi/brewpi.py --log --datetime

The first is the the shell which controls the Python process, the second is the actual BrewPi script. It's possible you will see some differences but that's the minimum for a single chamber setup.

The_Comrade

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the response

I too am worried about the power failure. We have had a few over the years and it has always seemed to be ok...
"distinction between reboot and power cycle" - In my defense, i tried the proper way first... then threw the breaker.

I tried to follow the steps to resolve the "unable to resolve host". But i cannot for the life of me remember the root password (i tried the "default": raspberry). I do have the password for the pi account. Anyway, i managed to successfully fix the problem (read: the error line no longer appears) by changing the hostname under Raspberry Pi Configuration.

I ran "ps -ef | grep rewpi" - i get no results.

I ran "sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doUpdate.sh" to test the "unable to resolve host" and i notice the last line ends with: "BrewPi was not running when we started. If it does not start after this you may have to investigate."

I never thought anything of this before as the web GUI opens, but clearly something is not running. I tried to do some service fault finding below... but that is the extent of my capabilities.

[email protected]:~ $ sudo systemctl status brewpi
● brewpi.service - BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/brewpi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 11:24:42 AEST; 20min ago
Docs: User Documentation — BrewPi Remix 0.8.0 documentation
Process: 951 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 951 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 18 11:24:42 pi3brew systemd[1]: Failed to start BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
[email protected]:~ $ sudo systemctl restart brewpi
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/brewpi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 11:47:24 AEST; 18s ago
Process: 5826 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 5826 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 11:47:24 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

OP
OP
LBussy

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ran "ps -ef | grep rewpi" - i get no results.
Good! It looks like you may recently have changed your hostname but that process failed to complete. That's fine, you;re back.

I ran "sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doUpdate.sh" to test the "unable to resolve host" and i notice the last line ends with: "BrewPi was not running when we started. If it does not start after this you may have to investigate."

I never thought anything of this before as the web GUI opens, but clearly something is not running.
Yes, this is one of the more confusing parts of the system. It is intended to give you more control but I'm not sure the words are quite right. The web pages are served by Apache and they talk to BEERSOCKET which in turn connects to the script. So this means exactly what it says really, the Python script is not running.

I tried to do some service fault finding below... but that is the extent of my capabilities.
This looks like the daemon finally gave up. The quickest way to get things working now is probably to reboot the Pi (correctly!) Things should work after that, if not, let me know what you see.

The_Comrade

Reaction score
Good! It looks like you may recently have changed your hostname but that process failed to complete. That's fine, you;re back.
I haven't made any changes since i setup in 2019. I am really a novice in Linux etc... i don't really go fiddling around so i may have done something back then and it has been lingering. I have run the update every now and then.

After a reboot it is still a no go. :(

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-10-18 23:52:05 AEST; 4min 16s ago
Process: 927 ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/brewpi/utils/doBrewPi.sh -d (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 927 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: Stopped BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: brewpi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 18 23:52:05 pi3brew systemd[1]: Failed to start BrewPi Remix daemon for: brewpi.

OP
OP
LBussy

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One last blanket try before we dig into troubleshooting. execute:

/home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

You should see something like this:

Bash:
[email protected]:~ $ /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

Not running as root, relaunching.

***Script doPerms.sh starting.***

Fixing file permissions for /var/www/html.

Fixing file permissions for /home/brewpi.

Allowing BrewPi python access to Bluetooth interfaces.

Checking user accounts.

***Script doPerms.sh complete.***
[email protected]:~ $
After that, it's easiest to reboot and see what happens.

The_Comrade

Reaction score
This Fixed it!!!!!! Thanks @LBussy you legend!

Now i got to see how this lager turns out, the fermenting was done, it just didn't start the cold crash on time - essentially a really long diacetyl rest. I guess it should be fine.

For those in the future: [email protected]:~ $ sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh

Latest posts