Brewmasters Warehouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my order, and I'm not sure what to make of the Wyeast "Pacman" yeast I just recieved. The bag is slightly inflated, noticeably more so than another Wyeast pouch I have from another vendor. It's not totally "about to pop"-inflated like after I smack the nutrient pack and let it sit overnight, but there is a noticeable difference. Is this cause for concern?

Just got my order, and I'm not sure what to make of the Wyeast "Pacman" yeast I just recieved. The bag is slightly inflated, noticeably more so than another Wyeast pouch I have from another vendor. It's not totally "about to pop"-inflated like after I smack the nutrient pack and let it sit overnight, but there is a noticeable difference. Is this cause for concern?

Read the FAQ on Wyeast's web page: http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=2

^ Thanks. Looks like I have nothing to worry about, which is reassuring. I was just concerned that the FedEx guy got a little rough with the box, which also had 6 lbs. of malt extract. I was worried that maybe the extract caused the smack-pack to pop, but I don't think that is the case.

^ Thanks. Looks like I have nothing to worry about, which is reassuring. I was just concerned that the FedEx guy got a little rough with the box, which also had 6 lbs. of malt extract. I was worried that maybe the extract caused the smack-pack to pop, but I don't think that is the case.

I also just got one that was semi-swelled. I was thinking that maybe the heat caused the inside pouch to bust open. I haven't used it yet... I'm expecting it to be fine, but I guess I won't know until I try it.

orangehero said:
If possible, you should consider also carrying D2 syrup from Dark Candi, Inc. for Belgian beers. I find the D2 and D-180 to be quite different, with the D2 having a distinct smoothness, while the D-180 is a little acrid and burnt.

I love D2 personally but the manufacturers seem to never have any for sale. I have tried every supplier for a long time trying to get some without any luck. If they cam have a consistent supply I will being some in for sure.

As far as Wyeast packaging some swelling is perfectly normal. Swelling does not mean that your smack pack has been smacked. It does not mean your yeast are dead or unhealthy. It only means that your pack swelled in transit. Pacman is pretty much swollen when we get them. Many other Wyeast strains also show signs of swelling. The best thing you can do is smack the pack and make a yeast starter and proof the yeast that way. That is the only sure fire way to know that your yeast are fine.

Thanks,

Ed

I ordered some a couple recipes and some other things and i couldn't believe how fast they arrived! and i live in the sticks :) just 1 little problem for a rookie like me, is there anywhere to get the instructions for making these delicious beers? thanks again for the great stuff and speedy delivery.

Thanks alot. got myself an oatmeal stout i want to try tomorrow. and the extracts just seemed too easy and clean in a sense. but i may have alot of work and reading ahead of me with all these grains and things :)

First order placed with BWM was perfect. Super fast shipping and outstanding packaging. All of the grains were in durable sealed bags. The hops were in light proof, airtight sealed bags as well. The yeast (wyeast 1968) was super fresh. Will definitely be using them again.

Hello Ed,

I just wanted to tell you that everyone at Brewmasters is great. I love that you guys package grains in a single recipe batch.

I just wanted to give you a heads up though. The past order I received from you was pretty beat up. The box I mean. It was just a bunch of grains so nothing was damaged but I guess Fedex beat the crap out of the box, which was falling apart when it got to my door. I guess the guys were just pissed to be hauling the heavy box around (it was probably about 45-50 lbs of grains).

Also you guys must get hit hard on the shipping costs because 6.99 is so damn CHEAP!!

keep up the good work

I've only placed an order once but I was very happy with my experience. The order was filled very quickly (I received it before the estimated date). I don't order grains crushed so I can't speak to the quality of the crush. I especially like being able to order down to the ounce. It's very helpful when you need a very small amount, although since I have several local shops I generally only place orders online for bulk purchases of several recipes at a time.

Also you guys must get hit hard on the shipping costs because 6.99 is so damn CHEAP!!

Shhhh... I'm convinced the $6.99 flat rate shipping is a glitch. Such a good deal.
I tried a couple other places before I found BMW, but once I did I never looked back.

Any chance of carrying Wyeast 3763 Roselare Ale Blend for making Flanders Reds, etc.?

My only complaint about Brewmaster's Warehouse is that they're SO great that I can't justify shopping at my local homebrew shop anymore. :) The ability to order custom recipes (with ingredients in 1 oz. increments) pretty much blows every other online homebrew shop out the water. Shipping is super fast and ingredients are fresh.

CrazyP said:
Any chance of carrying Wyeast 3763 Roselare Ale Blend for making Flanders Reds, etc.?

My only complaint about Brewmaster's Warehouse is that they're SO great that I can't justify shopping at my local homebrew shop anymore. :) The ability to order custom recipes (with ingredients in 1 oz. increments) pretty much blows every other online homebrew shop out the water. Shipping is super fast and ingredients are fresh.

We do carry it all the time. Great yeast blend.

I am new to this hobby and would love to have some kits available for purchase on BMW. It's a little daunting for me to piece them all together at the moment, and unfortunately, most of the recipes on your site don't have reviews. I'd rather not invest in a recipe that I have no idea whether it's good or not.

I am new to this hobby and would love to have some kits available for purchase on BMW. It's a little daunting for me to piece them all together at the moment, and unfortunately, most of the recipes on your site don't have reviews. I'd rather not invest in a recipe that I have no idea whether it's good or not.

Just FYI, some of the recipes that are on BMW are recipes that are quite popular on HBT. If you see a recipe on BMW that you are interested in, you can search HBT to see if there is a thread about that recipe. Some of them, like EdWort's Haus Pale Ale will have tons and tons of reviews.

Just FYI, some of the recipes that are on BMW are recipes that are quite popular on HBT. If you see a recipe on BMW that you are interested in, you can search HBT to see if there is a thread about that recipe. Some of them, like EdWort's Haus Pale Ale will have tons and tons of reviews.

Thank you. I will have to spend some time learning about ingredient substitutes because right now I am not knowledgeable enough to swap out ingredients that are in the recipe but not in stock. I did manage to find one recipe here that was all in stock at BMW, so I'm excited to see how that works out.

I've ordered several of the Shoultz-Meyer Brewery recipes at BMW, these are BMW's "house" recipes and are pretty reliable. In fact, the best beer I've brewed to date (and I have done Ed Wort's and O'Rourke's Quaffable in the HBT recipe database, you should brew those soon) is an S-M recipe, the Belgian Double Trouble Partial Mash, though you may want to start with all extract brews for your first couple. You can also create your own "kits" by entering recipes into BMW's "Brew Builder". What you will get in the mail is no different than a pre-made kit from any other supplier. You can get recipes from The Joy of Brewing book (Papazian), which you should have purchased before your first brew, lots of other recipe sources on-line and in books from the library.

BMW's Belgian Double Trouble
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/1f763998/shoultzmeyer-brewery-double-trouble

smata67 said:
I've ordered several of the Shoultz-Meyer Brewery recipes at BMW, these are BMW's "house" recipes and are pretty reliable. In fact, the best beer I've brewed to date (and I have done Ed Wort's and O'Rourke's Quaffable in the HBT recipe database, you should brew those soon) is an S-M recipe, the Belgian Double Trouble Partial Mash, though you may want to start with all extract brews for your first couple. You can also create your own "kits" by entering recipes into BMW's "Brew Builder". What you will get in the mail is no different than a pre-made kit from any other supplier. You can get recipes from The Joy of Brewing book (Papazian), which you should have purchased before your first brew, lots of other recipe sources on-line and in books from the library.

BMW's Belgian Double Trouble
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/1f763998/shoultzmeyer-brewery-double-trouble

Helpful, but I STRONGLY disagree that he (or anyone) should purchase l Papazian's book. It has become seriously outdated. The one book every new brewer (and even
experienced brewers) should *definitely* buy is John Palmer's "How to Brew". Some people cheap out on paying the $10 (absolutely silly in this hobby) because they figure it's available on his website for free, but in addition to the value and usefulness of having a FULLY COMPLETE copy on paper, the website is also a bit outdated as it only has the first edition of the book, while there have been not one but TWO updates to the book since, and even the third edition has been out for quite a while now.

Homebrewing has evolved quite rapidly over the past couple decades, and continues to do so at an astonishing pace - it's important to use the most up-to-date resources available (with HBT discourse actually even being the absolute cutting edge of homebrewing in certain instances).

And in addition to "How to Brew" currently being the general resource book that every homebrewer ought to own, one other book also setsgt5t itself apart as being a top-notch resource that EVERY homebrewer ought to have in their library - Jamil Zainasheff's "Brewing Classic Styles" (which., coincidentally John Palmer also contributed a section to). And it sounds like it's exactly what the OP needs, as it contains proven recipes for every single style of beer described in the BJCP style guidelines - and by proven, I mean both in terms of quality (ie, enjoyable) AND authenticity (ie, to style), so that he can feel confident that the recipes aren't just a bunch of ingredients senselessly thrown together and then posted, as is inevitably the case with so many online recipes.

And even for brewers like myself who ALWAYS design their own recipes (or at the very minimum tweak existing recipes to suit my own personal tastes), the recipes themselves are still a valuable resource - I've referred to them countless times when researching various styles that I plan on brewing.

Can someone please tell me what IBU calculation units are used in BMW's "Brew Builder?"

Can someone please tell me what IBU calculation units are used in BMW's "Brew Builder?"

It uses the tinseth method of calculation. We use the straight formula along with some values that are put in by us to make the formula work while at the same time making the Brew Builder easy to use.

If your numbers are different than other sources that is normal, and you can convert you hop additions to HBU (AA% * weight) to match them up that way.

Thanks,

Ed

I find the IBUs come out different when I enter the recipe in beersmith. For example, the Old Ale partial mash I just did, BS said IBUs were 26 or so, not the 36 in Brew Builder. I went ahead and used the full ounce of magnum and I do six gallon boils for an IBU of around 35. I at least wanted to be over 30, the style minimum. Brew Builder does get you in the ballpark and I always enter my recipes in BS and tinker a bit, so not a big issue for me. By the way, at 3 weeks, the Old Ale has a bit too much hop flavor for my taste, but I'm going to hold off drinking it for another 5 weeks, should take care of that.

Thanks Ed. I use Beersmith set to Tinseth and compare with Brewbuilder for every recipe. The adjustments you made to the calculations work VERY well for my setup, so I always trust Brewbuilder over my software when it comes to IBUs...it works well. You did a nice job on whatever it was you did. I find Beersmith's version of Tinseth (which I assume is the real Tinseth calculations) leaves my beer overly bitter.

I think it would be helpful to have a boil size field in the Recipe Parameters, it is kind of key and probably why I'm seeing differences. I believe you told me once the recipes were formulated for a 2-3 gallon boil, but I don't see that documented.

I think it would be helpful to have a boil size field in the Recipe Parameters, it is kind of key and probably why I'm seeing differences. I believe you told me once the recipes were formulated for a 2-3 gallon boil, but I don't see that documented.

any recipe I've added to BMW included the volume. That would be the desired batch size the recipe was based off of. Boil volume would be dependent on YOUR equipment as everyone has a different boil off rate. Every recipe should be adjusted for your equipment and it may be something as little as adding a pound of grain or boiling an extra 10 minutes.

That is one of the fields that we input for you. Having that would give you more true results, but would also mean more recipes get messed up because of it, since a lot of people would not know to input it, or would mess it up.

Recipes are formulated for full boils for partial mash, and all grain recipes.

For extract recipes they have been tested with both partial boils featuring late extract additions, and full boils with no late addition. They both give you a very good beer. If you are doing full boils with late extract you must make adjustments for the bittering hops or it will come out more bitter than intended.

Thanks,

Ed

Just ordered another recipe from the Brew Builder! Hoping to get it by Monday so that I can brew up 11 gallons of Amarillo Haus Pale Ale! :ban:

Placed my first order with BMW last Saturday hoping to get it here by Friday so I could have everything I need to get my first batch into the secondary before I go on vacation and I just got an email 5 days later that they're out of stock on a funnel and haven't even shipped my order yet. I had higher expectations than this. Disappointed and won't be shopping here anymore if I can help it.

Placed my first order with BMW last Saturday hoping to get it here by Friday so I could have everything I need to get my first batch into the secondary before I go on vacation and I just got an email 5 days later that they're out of stock on a funnel and haven't even shipped my order yet. I had higher expectations than this. Disappointed and won't be shopping here anymore if I can help it.

don't base it off of one bad experience. like any business stock level fluctuate. when you ordered there could have been a funnel in stock, but a person in the store may have had it in their hand. Normally the service is exceptional from BMW, if you order from them and don't get a shipping notice within a couple days (they're closed on Sunday) send them a PM here or email them.. or better yet, call (emails can get lost or they might have emailed you but it was caught as spam).

did you give them a chance to make it right for you? Dont publicly blast a company on a frustration. I dont understand why people do this??

I need to clarify my post.

My issue isn't with the funnel being out of stock, I understand how that could happen. It's the time it took them to notify me about the issue was too long IMO. It took them 3 full business days, not counting a Sunday, to even give me the choice of having it shipped without the funnel. That email finally came at 6pm Wednesday ( I ordered late Saturday night).

I stand by my initial post, I am disappointed with how long it took them to contact me and how long it would take to get the products here (I have requested cancellation). The time I needed the stuff in has nearly passed and I can't drive the 4 hours down and back to the store to get the stuff.

I don't think I am unreasonable to expect to receive delivery in 5 business days when the store is like 90 miles from my house. If you think it is reasonable time, then please disregard my posts. I hope I still have the ability to post my straightforward experience with a company and not have it be seen as blasting.

I don't think I am unreasonable to expect to receive delivery in 5 business days when the store is like 90 miles from my house. If you think it is reasonable time, then please disregard my posts. I hope I still have the ability to post my straightforward experience with a company and not have it be seen as blasting.

It's been my experience that this happens often with online vendors. Should it? No but your expectation versus actual experience with online brewing supply houses is not realistic based on my expedrience ordering from several.

IMO BMW is the best...yes they have screwed up some orders but they are the best from who I have used: Mid West, Northern, Austin HB..

To each his own but I want to tell you that it is actually worse with some other vendors.

Not a shill post, this is based on my experience ordering almost exclusively online for last 2-3 years.

It's been my experience that this happens often with online vendors. Should it? No but your expectation versus actual experience with online brewing supply houses is not realistic based on my expedrience ordering from several.

IMO BMW is the best...yes they have screwed up some orders but they are the best from who I have used: Mid West, Northern, Austin HB..

To each his own but I want to tell you that it is actually worse with some other vendors.

Not a shill post, this is based on my experience ordering almost exclusively online for last 2-3 years.

Thank you for the response. I agree with you and will try to make purchases further in advance when possible and adjust my expectations. I don't have any experience with online HB stores, this is my first so I chose BMW because I read through this thread and many people said they had the fastest shipping and best customer service.

I need to clarify my post.

My issue isn't with the funnel being out of stock, I understand how that could happen. It's the time it took them to notify me about the issue was too long IMO. It took them 3 full business days, not counting a Sunday, to even give me the choice of having it shipped without the funnel. That email finally came at 6pm Wednesday ( I ordered late Saturday night).

I stand by my initial post, I am disappointed with how long it took them to contact me and how long it would take to get the products here (I have requested cancellation). The time I needed the stuff in has nearly passed and I can't drive the 4 hours down and back to the store to get the stuff.

There's an additional comments/requests section when you place an order specifically for requests such as "I need x items by Friday". Use that next time.

Back