Brewing with Pur water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use PUR filtered tap water and never boil 4 gals of my batches...have been for many years.:D

A lot really depends on the drinkability of your tap water in the first place.

If it's not fit to drink -- it's not fit to filter -- ergo, it's not fit to brew with.:D

I have been debating using all RO (reverse ossmosis) water. I have the setup and have read about minerals and how that determines part of the flavor. Should I still use some tap with the RO or what?

I did two batches with reverse osmosis "bottle your own" water from the grocery store. I still have to wait another two weeks to see how it came out.

Water free from all impurities - distilled - tastes "flat" and just not very good. You expect some mineral and ion taste in water, and you notice the absence if you try drinking distilled water. The reverse osmosis stuff tastes like decent water, so there's still something in there, just probably at low concentration.

Buford said:
I did two batches with reverse osmosis "bottle your own" water from the grocery store. I still have to wait another two weeks to see how it came out.

Water free from all impurities - distilled - tastes "flat" and just not very good. You expect some mineral and ion taste in water, and you notice the absence if you try drinking distilled water. The reverse osmosis stuff tastes like decent water, so there's still something in there, just probably at low concentration.

I brewed my first batch entirely with water from my RO unit. My water hardness out of the tap is about 400ppm...After going through the RO, it gets down to about 20ppm. So yea, theirs some stuff left over, but it makes for great drinking water. Should make for good beer.:tank:

I've heard/read that removing the chlorine and chloramines from city water will make better beer. Boiling will take out the chlorine but not the chloramines. The charcoal-based water filters are supposed to take out both so I bought one. The tap-attachment kind was about $25 and will do 100 gallons of water before the filter needs to be replaced. I brewed with it last week. We'll see in about a month.
:D

The only problem with using the spin on sink attachments is they take so long!!! LoL Filling a 5 gallon bucket with that took me over half an hour...

There's an article in this month's BYO on making your own sink based carbon filter with a culligan shower filter, lasts longer and filters quicker.

eh.. for 4 bucks i go to walmart and get 6 gallons of spring drinking water, and boy can i tell a difference from my tap water...

Back