brewing with linux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlTheGud1sRtaken

Reaction score
i've been brewing for a while now, and searching/reading on this site for about just as long, and only recently started posting.

i've never used any brewing software for my brews, but i've been thinking about starting so that i can brew some better beer. problem is, i run linux, and i'm not willing ti switch to windows, and the idea of paying for software sounds weird to me as i havn't done it in about 7 years, nor have i pirated any software in that time.

from what i can see, there is:
QBrew
an alpha release of a java-ported strangebrew
brewnix (which hasn't been updated since 2002, and claimed then to be in need of help)
and a SUDS spreadsheet

anyone used any of these? anything for linux i didn't mention? are there any other free brewing programs that might work under wine?

i'm trying to get QBrew to compile, but it doesn't seem to like my qt version.

I am a linux user and bought beersmith. I am currently running it on my (only) windoze box but I understand it runs under WINE.

I use QBrew. Not terribly sophisticated, but it's got the basics and the calculations are accurate.

I know promash works under wine, that is how I use it.

Do you know what version of wine you have? Promash works fine for me, except if I want to change the "Date of Brewing" of a session to something other than today's date, the window is not wide enough to select any dates from the calendar.

It's just a minor annoyance, but I wouldn't mind if it's gone.

I heard rumors that Beer Tools Pro was working on a linux port, but I don't know if anything ever happened with it.

Do you know what version of wine you have? Promash works fine for me, except if I want to change the "Date of Brewing" of a session to something other than today's date, the window is not wide enough to select any dates from the calendar...
I updated to the latest release a month or so ago, can't remember the version exactly but it's fairly current. I've not noticed that issue you mention but I don't recall having to change that date before. ;) I will have a look when I get home though.

I use qbrew. Simple and basic. But I haven't really used anything else to compare it too.

One of these days, I'm going to make some manual upgrades to it so that it can handle meads and wine. But until then, I just use it to calculate IBUs, ABV, SG, etc.

What I'd like is a system where I could plug in some ingredients and the software would tell me what kind of beer I'm making. :cross:

I've not noticed that issue you mention but I don't recall having to change that date before. ;) I will have a look when I get home though.

I usually start brewing as soon as I wake up, so I generally create the session the day before. I'd like to be able to have the correct date that I actually brewed.

I run beersmith under WINE in Ubuntu Linux.
All I had to do was:

sudo apt-get install wine

Then double click the beersmith installer like you would in windows. WINE took care of the rest.

I run BeerTools Pro in a VirtualBox WinXP instance. Some people have had success getting it to run under WINE in the past, but the current version does not work under WINE (registration fails).

I just installed Strangebrew with Wine and it seems to be working ok (the UI is a little off, but that's kind of to be expected).

I was thinking of doing something similar to strangebrew that is cross-platform. Here are some options I've been kicking around. Please feel free to throw ideas or criticisms at me:

1. Use XUL and a firefox core (similar to what's being done with Songbird).
On the plus side of this, I could easily integrate web browsing to locate recipes etc...
On the minus side, it's not REALLY cross platform, but it would be easily portable.

2. Just create an Ajax site that could be opened by any browser on any platform.
Plus side: truely cross-platform. No distribution.
Minus side: Would either require an online database (which would be a PITA to maintain), or local XML recipe files (could be importable/exportable by Strangebrew).

2. Just create an Ajax site that could be opened by any browser on any platform.
Plus side: truely cross-platform. No distribution.
Minus side: Would either require an online database (which would be a PITA to maintain), or local XML recipe files (could be importable/exportable by Strangebrew).

:ban: HAH! I just found out that this is already done. If you haven't done so, check out hopville . the free online community for homebrewers . I just found this site, and its pretty cool. It's a database of user-created recipes where you can tag favorites, comment on recipes, etc... It's also got a calculation / formulation tool so you can create recipes of your own that you can share with the community.

Is qbrew even updated anymore?

I've slowly been working on making my own recipe formulation software. I'm hoping to have something to show for it in February. GPL and running on Linux, OS X, Windows.

Using Beersmith on Mac OSX 10.5.5 via Wine. It crashes from time to time when previewing HTML (i.e: brewsheet). I noticed that if I don't install the Gecko rendering engine, it never crashes.

:ban: HAH! I just found out that this is already done. If you haven't done so, check out hopville . the free online community for homebrewers . I just found this site, and its pretty cool. It's a database of user-created recipes where you can tag favorites, comment on recipes, etc... It's also got a calculation / formulation tool so you can create recipes of your own that you can share with the community.

Thats what I like to use as well.

You don't have to monkey around with their forums and stuff to use the brew calculator if you don't want to. You can just go here:

Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

Are there any sites that actually allow you to setup a brew session in them? (ie, strike temps, infusions, gravity readings, etc.) Most sites just seem to be recipe calculators. I'm more interested in brew session related stuff all in one place, like beersmith, beeralchemy, promash, etc.

Do you know what version of wine you have? Promash works fine for me, except if I want to change the "Date of Brewing" of a session to something other than today's date, the window is not wide enough to select any dates from the calendar.

It's just a minor annoyance, but I wouldn't mind if it's gone.
I had to downgrade to wine-1.1.9 for unrelated reasons, but I thought I'd mention that I have this problem as well now. I did find that if you hit the Grow/Shrink button 5 times in succession it will widen the window so you can use the calendar.

I run BeerSmith on Ubuntu under WINE. I also run it in an XP VirtualBox instance as well. As a side-note, I am OCD/anal about backups and data protection. After doing an install on Windoze, I copied the entire Beer Smith directory from the C: drive to a fat32 "data partition" that I have shared between Windoze and Linux. I found that I can run the executable directly from there whether I am in Windoze or Linux.
It appears as if the registry entries are just for good measure to please Windoze, but not necessary for the prog to function correctly.
Spend the money with Brad for the Beer Smith program. Even though you aren't accustomed to buying software, it will be the best $20 you have spent on brewing.

Gee nobody seems to have mentioned the java version of strangebrew:

StrangeBrew Java

Download link at the bottom.
100% free, probably runs anywhere but I've only used it on linux.

-Cheers!

I use Fedora core 10, and wine-1.1.12-1.fc10.i386.
The test version of beersmith and promash have both worked fine for me. Usually I just use:
TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation
Works well for me.
I would recommend running /usr/bin/winecfg, and seeing if you can ajust your screen size, and the default font size, etc. You should be able to tweek it so everything fits.

I've been helpign w/ the mac port of a new app w/ fairly limited features right now, brewtarget, check it out on sourceforge, I'm not doing much more than compiling the mac app but its native linux/qt4 app and I'm sure the dev would love more people on linux trying it out, telling him what else it needs, etc! I'm even willing to try and add some code to it but I'm still sooooo noob on c++ I think its just brewtarget.sourceforge.net

:)

I had to downgrade to wine-1.1.9 for unrelated reasons, but I thought I'd mention that I have this problem as well now. I did find that if you hit the Grow/Shrink button 5 times in succession it will widen the window so you can use the calendar.

Hey, look at that! That worked. Thanks!

Is qbrew even updated anymore?

I've slowly been working on making my own recipe formulation software. I'm hoping to have something to show for it in February. GPL and running on Linux, OS X, Windows.

Last update was May 25 2008. It's still semi-actively maintained and updated.

Works well for me to, but I haven't had to install is from source.. just deb so no problems with qt.

i realise this thread has not been used for sometime but i may have a cheap laptop coming my way for use in the garage so i can listen to music/podcasts and run brewing software whilst brewing, it has no OS on it so i was thinking of ubuntu,i have no linux knowledge and all my research has suggested this one of the best for beginners, i have a mac in the house and i use beeralchemy, can this run on linux with wine or similar?

I'm not aware of a good way to run OS X apps on Linux. Wine won't do it. Depending on your laptop's hardware, you may be able to run OS X on it. Do a search for OSX86. If you don't have supported hardware, it may be difficult or impossible to install but if you have the right hardware, it's a piece of cake these days.

cheers guys,

iv'e seen brewtarget and realise there are other brewing apps that could be used natively or with wine. as i use beeralchemy anyway i would have liked to stick with it,i'll have a play with the options if i win my auction in a couple of hours......

Back