Brewing with Insects?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the ingredients are those two esters AND "Artificial True Bug Flavor" whatever the hell that is. So, I might go down the Lavender Wit path, which means that less of this stuff is more. Hopefully the flavor will come through and not just the smell.

i feel this might go well with a very hoppy IPA
*edit* just checked the asian market next door to my work. they dont have it. boo hau

Hmmm, then maybe I should make a Kopi Luwak coffee brew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak). Kopi Luwak is a coffee made from beans eaten by a civet, then pooped out and made into coffee ($100 - $600 USD/Lb.). As others have said, I'd like to see how it comes out... (no pun intended)

Been done, I've had it, it was good:

http://www.mikkeller.dk/index.php?beer_id=78&id=61&land=1

This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.

Ingredients :
Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Alc : 10.9% vol. Volume : 500 ml. / 1 PT .9 FL OZ

The pee eggs are a weird Chinese medicine thing. I had to google it because it just didn't sound right being Japanese. Japan can be weird, but usually when it's that far out it's some fetish thing. Like stores where you can buy life like love dolls......or rent them........

Check out the story on popjolly.com. Its a delicacy for them. Sorry meant Chinese not Japananese,Im just a omelts n toast kinda American.

this one got me thinkin of a cicada beer. with the swarms a few years ago, i was sure that a search would turn up a slew of recipes, but not a one popped up.

So, did anyone come up with a cicada stout to go along with this beetle spunk brown?

Awesome. I'm hooked and will be brewing this thing:tank:
Where do I send royalties deposit? :p

Probably to the people in Vitenam in that video I linked to who are trying to bring the bugs back fromthe brink of extinction. That way we can eventually use the real thing!:rockin:

So, this is going to be a wheat beer; I have the ingredients and I will post the recipe soon.

I am thinking I will be able to find the actual insect at our local Ranch 99 store in South San Francisco this week; supposedly they are sold in packages like this:
mangdana.jpg

IF I can actually find the insect, the question then becomes, when do I add them? I was going to add a bottle of the artificial stuff two days before the secondary fermentation was complete, directly to the carboy.

If I can find the insects, to make this a legit bug brew, when would I add the bugs? To the mash? To the primary? To the secondary? I have no idea...any advice would be helpful. It would be kindof like brewing with bacon or something I would think...

Also an update on the name...it simply HAS to be called something like Beetlejuice Brew or something similar.

It's an actual beetle too, for chrissakes.

--J

Also,

The 1st vid that was shown said/showed them extracting the theramone from them. So it seems they use the theramone extractive in food,not the whole insect.?...:drunk: I like the "beetlejuice" name,though. But "cat dookie brown"?

The 1st vid that was shown said/showed then extracting the theramone from them. So it seems they use the theramone extractive in food,not the whole insect.?...:drunk: I like the "beetlejuice" name,though. But "cat dookie brown"?

So, the insect itself is eaten as a snack (I dated a thai girl for a while and she loved em..pretty extraordinary to watch her bite into a big one of these) but people also supposedly extract the pheremone liquid (not theremone) from the insect and use it as a condiment.

So, I would expect I would get more flavor from just using the extract. However, if I only added the flavoring, I wouldn't actually be brewing the beer with anything related to this; it would just be adding a flavoring at the end. I'd like to actually add the insect, if possible, to the beer itself at some point in the process to make it "legit". But I don't want to screw up the beer, as this will only be my second wheat beer, and I think my 8th or 9th batch over all.

I'd like to actually add the insect, if possible, to the beer itself at some point in the process to make it "legit". But I don't want to screw up the beer, as this will only be my second wheat beer, and I think my 8th or 9th batch over all.

How about using the extract and adding a bug to each bottle? The big Newcastle bottles might be nice: larger size and clear. Or you might be able to find some clear champagne bottles.

+1 For adding the bug to the bottles. However I'd soak them in vodka beforehand just to be safe.

Ok now I want to know what became of this...It kinda weirds me out and makes me want to vom but then there is that other part of me that says "you'd try it"...

So, this is going to be a wheat beer; I have the ingredients and I will post the recipe soon.

Also an update on the name...it simply HAS to be called something like Beetlejuice Brew or something similar.

It's an actual beetle too, for chrissakes.

"Exterminator" weizendoppelbock?

OP is bizzy getting $$$ in some oriental country, probably. Someplace where they eat tiger penis and do rectal cleansing with rhino horn dust.

he's probably just too buzzzzzed to remember this thread. :cross:

I saw a show once where they put what I think were live stink bugs on tacos in some forigen country...or was that a dream I had.

The beer is done. I bottled it about a mon ago. I left it in the secondary for about 3 months, longer than I originally thought I would but just never got around to bottling it until about a month ago.

You can definitey tatste the extract in the beer. I have had two bottles, one about 10 days after I bottled it and one last week. The first one the taste was very mellow but still noticeable, the second bottle the flavoring was definitely much more noticeable and perhaps too strong. I will have to try it a few more times as it ages to see but I definitely have something here. Even if this batch is too stro I can make the next one with a lesser amount of the extract. The taste is definitely unique and quite deliciouls.

And yes it will be called Beetlejuice. And I will post pics of the labels I'll make in a bit.

--Jeremy

When will the madness stop?

Hey, do your thang, but some of the things people add to beer just turn me off. :/

The beer is done. I bottled it about a mon ago. I left it in the secondary for about 3 months, longer than I originally thought I would but just never got around to bottling it until about a month ago.

You can definitey tatste the extract in the beer. I have had two bottles, one about 10 days after I bottled it and one last week. The first one the taste was very mellow but still noticeable, the second bottle the flavoring was definitely much more noticeable and perhaps too strong. I will have to try it a few more times as it ages to see but I definitely have something here. Even if this batch is too stro I can make the next one with a lesser amount of the extract. The taste is definitely unique and quite deliciouls.

And yes it will be called Beetlejuice. And I will post pics of the labels I'll make in a bit.

--Jeremy

Would you please post your final recipe?

Back