Brewing with fresh hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewHawk

Reaction score
This year I am making an attempt at growing my own Cascade hops. I was wondering if the fresh cut hops HAD to be dried at all, or just tossed into the kettle as is

And secondary question- who's got the absolute best extract clone recipe for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? It's my favorite everyday, great beer to drink and my short term goal in brewing is to consistently make a beer that can equal it. Thanks! And Cheers!

BigBrewHawk said:
This year I am making an attempt at growing my own Cascade hops. I was wondering if the fresh cut hops HAD to be dried at all, or just tossed into the kettle as is

And secondary question- who's got the absolute best extract clone recipe for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? It's my favorite everyday, great beer to drink and my short term goal in brewing is to consistently make a beer that can equal it. Thanks! And Cheers!

There is a forum thread here addressing using wet hops and literature as well.

As for the Sierra nevada Midwest makes an extract kit that's pretty good but you have to control your ferm temp with the California common lager yeast.

BigBrewHawk said:

Commonly referred to as "wet hopping". People do it all the time. The difference is like 1:7 dry vs. Wet due to water weight. Other than that I have heard that it's a little "grassier" hop note. No special prep needed as far as I know but you may want to search a few wethop threads.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, my only attempt thus far at the SNPA clone was Midwest's kit, and as per customer reviews, I bumped up the amount of DME. The beer turned out good, just not SNPA good. I was hoping that the addition of fresh Cascades(for dry-hopping as well) would bring me a little closer. Thanks again for any suggestions there!

Back